PDA

View Full Version : Linux Ubuntu how long are you using it ?

trixman
February 28th, 2012, 03:03 AM
a quick question to forum members.

was just wondering how long you all have been using linux ubuntu or other linux distros.

for me its been going on almost 5 years

still am amazed how neat linux has grown and become

:popcorn:

wolfen69
February 28th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I first tried linux back in 2003. It was Mepis. It wasn't until Ubuntu was released that I started to feel comfortable with it. And even then, I didn't completely ditch windows (for day to day things) until 2007.

drawkcab
February 28th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Since 2004--Warty Warthog.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UqUwVPikChs/SQyF1AFuSxI/AAAAAAAAHec/8LyQr8Mk2h0/s400/warty-warthog.jpg

cariboo
February 28th, 2012, 03:34 AM
I've been using a linux distribution of some sort since 1998, I started using Ubuntu in 2006.

iponeverything
February 28th, 2012, 03:49 AM
for me it was 1993 -- slackware on 1.44 floppies. I have used it continuously since.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 28th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Not that long. I was 43 years old then Linus Torvalds wrote Linux. :) Ubuntu hasn't been around that long either.
:lolflag:

Lokireloaded
February 28th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I was on erasmus studying in Finland when I got my hands on a cheap pc (20euro) for work, and I put ubuntu on it as, well, its free. I left the pc in finland when i left and now i have it on my netbook. so about a yearish.
Although I am pretty dopey when it comes to using it for anything significant.

wolfen69
February 28th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Not that long. I was 43 years old then Linus Torvalds wrote Linux. :) Ubuntu hasn't been around that long either.

You old fart! ;)

You're never too old for linux. (I'm not young)

3rdalbum
February 28th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Since Christmas Day 2005. My first Linux distro was Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger" PPC.

Lee_Bo
February 28th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I've been using some form of Linux since 1999. Been using Ubuntu exclusively for the past three years.

yetiman64
February 28th, 2012, 05:09 AM
For Ubuntu Since November 2007. Installed 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon in a dual boot with XP.

First installed Red Hat 7 about 2001 or 2002 in a dual boot with Win98se. My Red Hat install only lasted a couple of months, I found it very hard to come to grips with being so Windows indoctrinated at that stage.

spillin_dylan
February 28th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I started around October/November of 2008. Ubuntu was my first distro, and still use it today, although I did finally get Debian setup on a home server.

click4851
February 28th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I started with Mandrake in 1998ish, but Ubuntu would be Breezy Badger....

elliotn
February 28th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I first used ubuntu in 2006 but failed to understand it, I was on and off until 2007 when I started to fully dual boot ubuntu and windows since then I roll with ubuntu

Gone fishing
February 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog in those days the free CD thing made a big difference. Before Ubuntu I tried Xandros, Mandrake and Opensuse, but Ubuntu stuck although I still like Opensuse.

samalex
February 28th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Your comments asked about Ubuntu, but here's my backstory with the Penguin if it's not too boring :)

I first heard of Unix from the book The Cuckoo's Egg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo's_Egg_(book)) and similar books as far back as 1989 or 1990, but it wasn't until 1993 when a local BBS offered connectivity to a Unix server that I actually got to use Unix. Then in 1994 in college I had a Unix account setup there which really gave me the CLI bug!

I can't pinpoint when I first heard of Linux, it was something I read about from time to time in various tech magazines, but 1996 in college was the first time I actually touched it in school and realized I HAD To have it.

1997 - Purchased RH 4.2 from Best Buy and started using it on my parents 486DX 50Mhz system (primary PC was a 300Mhz Sony VAIO running Win 95)
1998 - Purchased RH 5.2 also from Best Buy and moved to it on the 486
From 1998 through 2000 I moved up the RH versions on a secondary system
2001 - Moved to RH 7.something full time overwriting Windows 2000 which was my primary system at that time. Windows-free from that point on.
2003 - RH 9 was my last version of RH since they moved to RHEL. Tried Fedora Core 1 and was disappointment so purchased SuSE 9 and moved to it.
2004 - Moved to Slachware (I think version 10 but could be wrong)
2004 - Bought an iBook and moved to OSX as my primary system and Slackware box became home server
2006 - Replaced Slackware with Ubuntu Server 6
2008 - Bought System76 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop preinstalled
2008 - Moved Server to Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS as well
2010 - Moved to Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop on lapotp

So for now though our primary desktop at home is an iMac my laptop (which is mostly what I use) is running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I'm still debating on whether I'll move to 12.04 LTS when it's released or just jump to Mint. I've heard MANY good things about Mint, but given I do use Ubuntu One quite abit and like the new products Canonical is rolling out I don't know if I want to leave the Ubuntu ecosystem just yet. Plus I'm working through LFS and may just run with it or even Debian... not sure.

raja.genupula
February 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I have learned switch on computer after my +2 (so in 2006 i have joined to learn C in a computer institute , there i have learned).

From 2006-08(in my Graduation 1st,2nd years) i have used windows . But from 2008-09(3rd year of my graduation , i have bought a lappy for me ) My first Linux is Ubuntu and I am with it .

That's mine .

matt_symes
February 28th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I started with Mandrake in 1998ish, but Ubuntu would be Breezy Badger....

Mandrake (now Mandriva ?). That brings back some memories.

Hello Raja. Congrats on Ubuntu membership !

raja.genupula
February 28th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hi Matt_Symes , Hope you're doing good . Thanks man .
what you have broken again ? :P

ubume2
February 28th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Since 6.04. It's been so long I've forgotten its nickname. I've burnt over a hundred CDs, trying out other Linux Distros, but I have stuck with 'buntu.:D

Roasted
February 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I was about 16 or 17. I was working part time and saving up as much as I could to build my first computer. I bought a whole slew of parts and put them together. Once done, instant depression had set in: I had no operating system to use and no money to purchase Windows. My cousin suggested I try Linux, as he works closely with Red Hat/Fedora with where he worked at the time (IBM Infrastructure Engineer). I gave it a shot with intention of utilizing web browsing and instant messaging to hold me over until I could save up for Windows.

Then... it happened. I realized I didn't need Windows.

...it's been 9 years and I haven't looked back since.

ojdon
February 28th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I started using Ubuntu since 8.04.

Amazing how much I've learnt from using it causally and using it as my number 1 choice for low-end machines. :D

Duncan J Murray
February 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I wish I'd known about Linux earlier! I spent 5 years in a relationship with Windows XP which started quite well, but really got angsty towards the end. It was then that I met Jaunty - which was the reverse, with a pretty rocky beginning (I tried dual-boot, but it bricked my whole laptop), though it later flowered and resulted in a lasting partnership. However, not sure whether this will continue. My trusty Pentium-M laptop with Radeon 7500 simply won't keep up with the latest distributions anymore...

Maybe Haiku next?

D

LillyDragon
February 29th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I've been using Linux close to six years now, personally. (Although that's not much to brag about compared to some of you guys. =P) I first tried PCLinuxOS2007, but the fact that I couldn't stuff outside the repos really ruined it for me, until I found Ubuntu. Ever since, I've been trying to ditch Windows, and so far, my only reason to keep it still is for games that won't run in WINE.

After recently discovering working deb packages of the drivers for my PIXMA 280 scanner/printer, however, is starting to make me reconsider if those old PC games are really worth it. xD

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 29th, 2012, 03:34 AM
You old fart! ;)

You're never too old for linux. (I'm not young)

Yes, I am an old fart. As you may have guessed, I was having fun with the title of the thread.

Linux Ubuntu how long are you using it ?

Gremlinzzz
February 29th, 2012, 03:47 AM
2005>>>seven years
Linux not just Ubuntu experimented with a lot of distros:popcorn:

jldoll
February 29th, 2012, 04:03 AM
2008, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Lubuntu. I've been using exclusively at home since I started. Not really an option in my industry professionally.

Linuxratty
February 29th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Eight years...Started with Linspire..yes,I confess...Moved from there to Klickit.Mepis,Fedora,Kubuntu clones and finally Ubuntu.

danieluseslinux
February 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
The first Linux I ever seen was RedHat all those years ago, but never used it.

First used Linux was Linux Mint and then I switched over to Ubuntu 9.10.

nutpants
February 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM
first tried linux in 1998..
first tried ubuntu around v6 ish
started using ubuntu for everything non gaming in 2009.

desnaike
March 1st, 2012, 03:19 AM
Started with Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake. November of that year went windows free.

Hobomank
March 1st, 2012, 08:09 AM
It all started with Puppy Linux (Lucid Puppy) Ahhh...The good old days. :D

I've been technically been using it on and off for about 2 & 1/2 years but within these past few months its all I use. Im not much of a gamer so it fits all my needs. So much easier to program on this platform IMO...

I personally would love to see people using windows use the terminal like we can... :popcorn:

pme 72
March 4th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Loaded Feisty from the Live CD in the book Ubuntu for Non-Geeks on an IBM Aptiva that was collecting dust in January of 2008. In February I purchased a LiveCD of Gutsy 64 bit from The Linux Store and installed it as a dual boot with Windows XP on my desktop. Upgraded to Hardy. Then fresh installed Intrepid, Jaunty, Karmic and now Lucid. Out of curiosity I booted live cd's of Maverick, Natty, Oneiric. Have Natty and Feisty running in VirtualBox in my Lucid install.