PDA

View Full Version : Talk about VINTAGE computing!!

nikonian
February 28th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Look at this eBay auction! Superb! What history!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-XT-5160-286-systems-ISA-cards-MFM-drives-HUGE-lot-vintage-PC-HP-/140712428431?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item20c31d438f

wolfen69
February 28th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I actually had a computer very similar to that.(1986?) But back then all I did was play a couple games on it.

LowSky
February 28th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Not worth 100 pounds.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 28th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Not worth 100 pounds.

LOL. That is probably why it has 0 bids. :)

|{urse
February 28th, 2012, 04:06 AM
http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/images/spectrum_plus.jpg

I miss playing Frogger on this.

Lucradia
February 28th, 2012, 05:28 AM
http://computermuseum.50megs.com/images/sinclair-spectrumplus.jpg

I miss playing Frogger on this.

*cough* No hotlinking. The image has been replaced with a no hotlink image thanks to you hotlinking :P

MisterGaribaldi
February 28th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I remember the IBM PC XT. My local library had one of those. My high school had a mix of Apple IIe systems, TRS80 Model 3s and 4s, and a IBM PS2 system of some description up in the yearbook office. I think they had minicomputers in the offices. And that was only going back to the late 80s.

You know the one thing I really miss from the bygone era of PCs? I miss GW-BASIC and some of the DOS games.

Other 'n that, wouldn't give you a nickel for it.

mips
February 28th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Not worth 100 pounds.

+1 You will have to pay me £100 to take that junk of your hands and it will go straight into a skip or recycling depot.

Vintage PC stuff has very little interest, if it was Amiga, NeXT, Atari, Archimedes, Apple/Mac, Nintendo64 etc etc then you will get some interest

detroit/zero
February 28th, 2012, 10:34 AM
+1 You will have to pay me £100 to take that junk of your hands and it will go straight into a skip or recycling depot.

Vintage PC stuff has very little interest, if it was Amiga, NeXT, Atari, Archimedes, Apple/Mac, Nintendo64 etc etc then you will get some interest
I'd have to disagree. With the right knowledge, a technically inclined individual could use that old paperweight to do some home automation - coffee pot, window blinds, inside/outside lights... It would end up being mostly hardware-based, with the PC acting as an oversized timer, tripping relays and such.

Believe it or not, the vast, overwhelming majority of technology that keeps the wheels of industry turning in this country isn't a whole lot more advanced than that old machine - a good deal of it makes that thing look like it came from the future.

But, would I pay a hundred British pounds for it? Not a chance.

mips
March 1st, 2012, 10:26 AM
I'd have to disagree. With the right knowledge, a technically inclined individual could use that old paperweight to do some home automation - coffee pot, window blinds, inside/outside lights... It would end up being mostly hardware-based, with the PC acting as an oversized timer, tripping relays and such.

Believe it or not, the vast, overwhelming majority of technology that keeps the wheels of industry turning in this country isn't a whole lot more advanced than that old machine - a good deal of it makes that thing look like it came from the future.

But, would I pay a hundred British pounds for it? Not a chance.

I said nothing about usability, I mentioned interest from geeks/collectors. There are still some old machines out there that people use in process control environments with custom hardware interfaces and occasionally you see their owners crying on the internet because they have to source a old PC.

I would not use those old PCs for what you suggested, they suck way to much power and are bulky. A cheap low power microcontroller board like arduino etc would make a lot more sense.

a2j
March 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
I have one similar to that. Running minix2.

asifnaz
March 1st, 2012, 06:55 PM
Look at this eBay auction! Superb! What history!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-XT-5160-286-systems-ISA-cards-MFM-drives-HUGE-lot-vintage-PC-HP-/140712428431?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item20c31d438f

Its junk .