PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iomega NAS access via ethernet directly?

bornagainpenguin
February 27th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I have a 1TB iomega HMNHD NAS, on Windowx XP it is possible to connect it directly tothe ethernet port and access the mounted drive as shared, in Ubuntu 10.04.4 I do not seem to be able to do this. Can anyone tell me how to mount the drive from the ethernet?

Connecting the drive to the network is not possible because I am at the hospital waiting for results on my mom's heart attack. Only have the drive for evenings if Dad and I have to spend the night again and want to have something to distract us from the current situation while Mom sleeps. Can anyone help?

Laptop is an eeepc 901L netbook.

gandaran
February 27th, 2012, 09:52 PM
it's easier to do it on ubuntu than windows!
from places » connect to server » choose windows shares (will not work with any other option for NAS servers) type the NAS IP address on server box and hit the connect button, if you have a username and password set ubuntu asks for them automatically.

edit
reread your post again, I don't know about connecting directly to ethernet port, the instructions above are for network connected NAS servers, sorry.

bornagainpenguin
February 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM
it's easier to do it on ubuntu than windows!
from places » connect to server » choose windows shares (will not work with any other option for NAS servers) type the NAS IP address on server box and hit the connect button, if you have a username and password set ubuntu asks for them automatically.

edit
reread your post again, I don't know about connecting directly to ethernet port, the instructions above are for network connected NAS servers, sorry.

Thanks any way. While it bugs me that it is possible to do something in Windows that I can't seem to do in Ubuntu, I'm home for the evening and am going to see what I can copy to my SDCard for when we go back to the hospital tomorrow before I go to bed. It'll be good enough for the time being.

--bornagainpenguin