PDA

View Full Version : Netbook Users: Please take my survey!

ojdon
February 27th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Hi everyone, this morning I created a quick survey since I'm interested how people are still using their netbook, mainly focusing on what applications they use on their tiny machines.

If you are a Netbook user yourself could you please check out my survey which can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGlCQ1dTa0ZGeE02MlR6TWFwS1BRVWc6M Q

Thanks! ):P

wirepuller134
February 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Done!!

kostkon
February 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Me 2.

JRV
February 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Done

ojdon
February 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys, really surprised with the results!

The majority of Ubuntu users use their Netbooks just like any other machine. This is definitely going to help me in the future.

Keep the responses coming guys! I really appreciate taking your time to fill this survey out. :)

Copper Bezel
February 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Did it. = ) And yeah, I got my netbook to replace a full-size notebook, and my use pattern hasn't really changed at all between the two. (I take it more places and make more use of an external display at home, but I do the same things and use mostly the same apps.)

dagroves
February 27th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I tookedid it.

Lokireloaded
February 28th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Survey.take(true)

cariboo
February 28th, 2012, 04:40 AM
What's the purpose of this survey?

3rdalbum
February 28th, 2012, 04:52 AM
This survey seems rather shallow. Perhaps you should ask more about what types of programs are used, and include professional programs (image editors, DTP layout, sound/video editors etc).

Also, bear in mind that all Ubuntu users have a web browser, music player and video player on their computers by default.

Lucradia
February 28th, 2012, 05:26 AM
I finished it. I use Fedora on my netbook however. I rarely ever use my netbook though.

Lars Noodén
February 28th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Post the results when you have them. What is the purpose of the survey?

ojdon
February 28th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Thank you for all the responses guys!

What's the purpose of this survey?

At first it was just curiosity. Being a Netbook user myself I've always wondered how people incorporated their little machines into their life.

I am now interested in creating a simple Netbook-spin, but I know for sure that my usage for a Netbook will be completely different from the "next guy's" usage.

So before I even began developing my own spin, I'd want to design it so the majority of users would be appealed to use it too. (If it's a high quality piece of enough work and not just a respin of Ubuntu with a new wallpaper... Which I'm sure you've all seen before! :p)

This survey seems rather shallow. Perhaps you should ask more about what types of programs are used, and include professional programs (image editors, DTP layout, sound/video editors etc).

Also, bear in mind that all Ubuntu users have a web browser, music player and video player on their computers by default.

I designed the survey to be quick and simply to fill out. I didn't want people spending more than 10 minutes filling it out. (I certainly wouldn't want to fill out a multi-paged survey) so keeping it shallow was more of a design choice than anything. It wasn't formal research, after all. :)

Also, The first thing I do when I install a fresh installation of Ubuntu is delete programs I don't use (Considering I'm running on a 16GB SSD). Two of those programs I never use on my Netbook and I replace Firefox for Midori.

Post the results when you have them.

I'll be definately be writing up a in-formal report on my blog soon since there already is a very interesting pattern. (Well I find it interesting anyway!!)

Thank you all for taking the time to complete my survey! Keep the results coming guys! ):P

Hylas de Niall
February 28th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Done! :D

SeijiSensei
February 28th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I am now interested in creating a simple Netbook-spin, but I know for sure that my usage for a Netbook will be completely different from the "next guy's" usage.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't use it. I have no problem running Kubuntu on my ASUS 1201n. I suppose if I was stuck with a small SSD I might care, but given that my 1 kg netbook still has a rather hefty hard drive, I much prefer having a full distribution.

Copper Bezel
February 28th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I don't really see the benefit of netbook-specialized distros, particularly as regards storage space. I have a 32 gig SSD. The system, apps, and swap take up six of those gigabytes. I could have fewer apps and take up four instead; great. But the difference between 26 gigs and 28 for my personal files is not really significant. The same goes for 10 and 12 on a 16 gig drive.

And yeah, not all netbooks even use SSDs. But the ones that don't have slower performance, and not all netbooks have two gigs of RAM, so some other machines are better off with a lightweight environment, which I don't need. There just aren't a lot of unifying factors even within the netbook class to make a special distro meaningful. (The only real, across-the-board concern that netbook users have in common is the tiny, standardized 1024x600 resolution, but that's addressed, as much as possible, by Unity.)

Using a modified distro just seems like asking for extra problems. I'd rather just use vanilla Ubuntu and make what tweaks I'd like to make, which I'm going to end up doing anyway.

jshepherd
February 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I've been using my Lenovo S10 2 for about 6 months as my only portable computer since my Dell XPS m1330 decided to cook its own GPU. I ran my Dell as dual boot too (Win 7 and Ubuntu).
Getting a bit cramped though so I'll look into getting my Dell sorted.
PS My desktop runs Ubuntu exclusively.

mvelte54
February 29th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Interesting survey I'm interested in the results also.