PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu - A leading distro..

Mathias-K
June 9th, 2006, 11:24 PM
While I was hanging out with some friends last night, I noticed that the guy whose apartment we crashed had his music running through the average WinXP / IE6 / Winamp system, with Kazaa as the main "music store" :)

As we talked about malware and the like, he complained about Kazaa and not really knowing where to get a clean program, so I went to http://www.frostwire.com/ and saw a surprising list of versions on the front page:

- Windows XP
- Mac OS X
- Linux source
- Ubuntu/Debian

This little brownie we love to call our OS is really becoming a force to be reckoned with in the FOSS world, it seems :KS

BWF89
June 9th, 2006, 11:31 PM
That's cool.

I have a question about FrostWire. It's based on LimeWire, but is it based on the free or the commercial version of it? Because the commercial version has more features than the free one. Both are GPL so I don't see why basing FrostWire on the commercial version of LimeWire would be a problem.

If it is I'm going to ditch LimeWire for FrostWire.

MetalMusicAddict
June 9th, 2006, 11:46 PM
This little brownie we love to call our OS is really becoming a force to be reckoned with in the FOSS world, it seems :KS
Id love to se more of this. I was thinking today that "It would be cool to see a UT2007 done up just for Ubuntu". Guaranteed to work and strait from Atari or Epic. Just a dream though. Maybe not a dream with hardware support thought. :)

benplaut
June 10th, 2006, 12:53 AM
That's cool.

I have a question about FrostWire. It's based on LimeWire, but is it based on the free or the commercial version of it? Because the commercial version has more features than the free one. Both are GPL so I don't see why basing FrostWire on the commercial version of LimeWire would be a problem.

If it is I'm going to ditch LimeWire for FrostWire.

i'm pretty sure it's off of pro

BWF89
June 10th, 2006, 01:11 AM
i'm pretty sure it's off of pro
I asked on the FrostWire forums:
http://www.frostwire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249

kanem
June 10th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Not really related to frostwire, but..

Another thing that makes me think to myself 'holy crap, Ubuntu is really popular' is when I'll google for something that not only isn't Linux related, but isn't even computer related, and on the first page will be a link to some thread on ubuntuforums.

Mathias-K
June 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Id love to se more of this. I was thinking today that "It would be cool to see a UT2007 done up just for Ubuntu". Guaranteed to work and strait from Atari or Epic. Just a dream though. Maybe not a dream with hardware support thought. :)

It would be way cool. I think it could only happen if hardware vendors followed the same trend as Frostwire, making Ubuntu specific drivers.

They could release the UT2007 disc with Windows support and then have a package in main/restricted that automatically installed your nVIDIA/ATi driver and the game. That would be cool :)

deception
June 10th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I personally believe Ubuntu is becoming the "standard" GNU/Linux Desktop Distro, and this is why you see many times software with Ubuntu packages. It's warming to see this happen, and along with a growing distro we have growing support from the community for it. :KS