PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here set up thin clients using Linux Terminal Server Project?

nevius
February 27th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hey all,

I live iin Central Asia and am helping out a local reform school for orphans and delinquent youth. I'm working on getting a computer education program started at the school for the 2012-2013 academic year.

Right now they have a few really old computers (Win2K era) and I'm working to scrounge up more computers for them. Because of (1) old hardware, (2) lack of software licenses, (3) lack of money to acquire software licenses, and (4) a general love of Linux I'm considering setting up the old computers as LTSP thin clients.

According, I have quite a few questions:

Has anyone here deployed LTSP in an educational environment?
If so, what were some difficulties you faced?
What sort of hardware would you recommend for a server that has approximately 20 clients (I imagine disk I/O becomes an issue as you scale up the number of clients/server)?
Any educational software / curricula you recommend?
Do you have other helpful tips before I start planning this out?

If any of you want to lend expertise to this endeavor or otherwise help out PM me.

madverb
February 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM
You might want to read about this: http://www.edubuntu.org/documentation/ltsp-live

You would need a decent computer to run as the server. It wouldn't need to be anything amazing though. edubuntu's ltsp live allows you to do some testing without making any changes.

juancarlospaco
February 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Once i tried LTSP, it was good...,
but the true is that a plain xinit + NX Client was better than the LTSP architecture,
it is very hacky if you dont have the skills, mainly to troubleshoot.

good luck :)

nevius
March 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the tips. Once I get the project going I'll come back here with some stories.

CeltaWeb
June 5th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Hi nevius,

How did you go with your thin client project I'm in a similar situation and would love to hear how you went.

Thanks

forkandles
December 25th, 2012, 02:02 PM
nevius,

Apologies for the late reply but try this:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/blog/beachboy2-315980/ltsp-setting-up-from-scratch-35204/