PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite Qt apps?

devondashla
February 26th, 2012, 11:38 PM
After switching to KDE due to the lack of a better environment comparable to GNOME 2, I've come to realize I should have stuck with KDE a long time ago when I first tried it. Everything is just easier to get to, and smoother. However, I am looking for a few more Qt apps that could be useful., so I figured starting this thread would be a good way for KDE users to suggest apps.

Right now, I'm looking for a good Word editor to use, as LibreOffice is too clunky and KOffice is too unorganized/unprofessional. My favorite GTK Word editor was Abiword, but I'm trying to avoid GTK as much as I can while using KDE. I've also been looking for a twitter client to use-I heard of a Qt client in the past, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's name was!

And, in order to give back, I'd have to say my favorite Qt app is Musique (formerly MiniTunes). Check it out here. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/music-app-musique-adds-scrobble-support-faster-scanning/

PaulW2U
February 26th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I've also been looking for a twitter client to use-I heard of a Qt client in the past, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's name was!

Choqok?

devondashla
February 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Choqok?
That's it! Thank you!

BrokenKingpin
February 27th, 2012, 01:24 AM
KOffice is too unorganized/unprofessional.
Really? I recently switched back to KDE and was surprised to find the complete opposite of this statement. Either way, if you like Abiword, just install Abiword... unless disk space is really that much if an issue for you.

I have actually found most of the standard K applications pretty decent, and has made the switch pretty painless. Kopete, KMail, KOrganizer, KTorrent, K3b, ect... are all very good applications and work very well for me. Other good QT applications are Amarok and VLC for music and video. UNetbootin is also a cool utility for creating bootable live USB keys.

As I said above though, if there is a good GTK app I will still use it. The main one for me is Zim Notes. If you look at Linux Mint 12 KDE edition you will actually see that there are a number of GTK apps installed by default. I am glad to see a distro finally just install that best apps for the job, instead of just the best apps for that platform (QT or GTK). Kubuntu needs to go this route, as the default web browser is very buggy and everyone just installs Firefox or Chromium anyways.

Dragonbite
February 27th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I've been enjoying KDE lately from being a primarily Gnome user. In either environments I try and use applications more garnered towards the environment before going cross-toolkits.

Some of the apps / features that I've enjoyed with KDE include:

Auto-rotating wallpapers (I have "series" in a folder and rotate in that folder, currently Nebula. When I want a change I point to another folder, lke before I was in Mountains.. in October I was Halloween, etc.)
Digikam is a very powerful photo manager and editor. I like the simplicity of Shotwell but Digikam redeemed itself when I was able to have pictures imported automatically into a folder using the date of the shot as the directory it gets stored in. It also has more choices for where to upload photos too, though I don't really use any more locations that the 3 Shotwell includes.
Gwenview is another image manager of sorts and provides importing images from a camera.
Amarok seems heavy to me but is pretty cool, as well as Celmentine.
Kontact pieces integrate nicely, for the most part, with my Google account with the help of akonadi. If I can get an RSS feeder to integrated with Google Reader (so I mark it read in one place, it's marked read in all) then I will be avery happy puppy!
Quanta Plus is a good HTML editor, but it is still uses KDE 3 code and may not be available for much longer. No word when it will be ported so I am using Netbeans int he meantime.
Kopete is pretty good. I like how it can handle webcam chatting as well as regular text.
While I use LibreOffice, the KDE team is working on a new office suite to replace(?) KOffice, called Calligra. I look forward to testing it when it comes out.
KPatience is better than AisleRiot in Spider ;)

mips
February 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I genrally find KDE has better apps than the other available platforms. K3B, Krita, Dolphin etc comes to mind.

GERGE
February 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I used to have Amarok 1.4 on my Xfce-Arch setup before starting to use Rdio. Only other Qt apps I use with some frequency area package browser called pkgbrowser for Arch and Calibre.

BrokenKingpin
February 27th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I genrally find KDE has better apps than the other available platforms. K3B, Krita, Dolphin etc comes to mind.
How did I forget to mention Dolphin... best file manager out there by far.

PaulW2U
February 27th, 2012, 06:40 PM

Definitely!

For me I can do a lot with krusader, which although not part of the official KDE SC, is vastly superior to Gnome Commander. KVirc and konversation are two IRC programs that I regularly use, both are superior to XChat and Pidgin.

However, staying on-topic, my favourite Qt application is probably KMyMoney. It does all that I need it to without the excess that I experienced with Microsoft Money. And what is more important than keeping an accurate record of what's in your bank account(s)? :D

odiseo77
February 28th, 2012, 01:49 AM
My music experience wouldn't be the same with anything other than Amarok. I even installed it on Windows! Yes, it's a bit heavy, and on windows it's even heavier, but I love the way it organizes my music collection and the cool functions it has, such as the lyrics functionality.

thaelim
February 28th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Calligra is actually KOffice with a new name. I would dearly like to start using it but there are still a few too many bugs. For example, Calligra Tables (spreadsheet app) corrupted the formulae in one of my ODS spreadsheets that I'd created in LibreOffice.

devondashla
February 28th, 2012, 05:41 AM
My problem with KOffice/Calligra is that it just doesn't work well with other word programs. For instance, when I tried to edit a Word document with tables, there were no tables at all within Calligra. When I used Word to edit it later, all of my information in my tables was flipped 90 degrees! Other than that, my only issue with KDE is the look of webpages within Firefox/Chrome.

Also, I just have to say that Amarok is a bit too heavy for me, and Clementine has too many...clementines, in the interface.

smellyman
February 28th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I think Calligra (still in Beta) may end up better than LO.

QT apps:

dolphin
clementine
VLC
Marble
Virtualbox
opera

Erik1984
February 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
My problem with KOffice/Calligra is that it just doesn't work well with other word programs. For instance, when I tried to edit a Word document with tables, there were no tables at all within Calligra. When I used Word to edit it later, all of my information in my tables was flipped 90 degrees! Other than that, my only issue with KDE is the look of webpages within Firefox/Chrome.

Also, I just have to say that Amarok is a bit too heavy for me, and Clementine has too many...clementines, in the interface.

Yep. I don't know what it is but fonts just look better in Ubuntu so it seems. I played with some setting to improve things but can't seem to get it right.

devondashla
March 1st, 2012, 11:59 PM
Yep. I don't know what it is but fonts just look better in Ubuntu so it seems. I played with some setting to improve things but can't seem to get it right.

I KNOW!!! No matter how much I research it, there just isn't a fix for it. What settings do you use to help it?

thaelim
March 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Very easy to get fonts looking just so in KDE:
System Settings -> Application Appearance -> Fonts

Use Antialiasing: Enabled
Force Fonts DPI: unchecked

Click configure ->
Exclude Range: unchecked
Use subpixel rendering: checked
Hinting style: medium

OK, Apply, restart and you're done.

giowck