PDA

View Full Version : LOL Ubuntu

DeathShot
February 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I just got this message which I thought was funny because it clearly hasn't been changed since the move from Gnome 2.
http://i42.tinypic.com/sp9fyd.png

This brings back good old memories of Modern Warfare 2 errors in Modern Warfare 3

s3a
February 26th, 2012, 09:07 PM
:) File it as a bug though please.

DeathShot
February 26th, 2012, 09:48 PM
:) File it as a bug though please.
Erm... mind telling me how I do that :S

philinux
February 26th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Open a terminal.

ubuntu-bug packagename

Not sure what the package is but the above is the universal way.

DeathShot
February 26th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I tried a few things related to it but I guess none of them are packages because it specifically told me so. How am I supposed to know what package this is related to:confused: Is there like a general "error" or "notices" package? Actually what do you even mean by packages?

Would it help if I just told one of you guys how to do it?
Basically I googled why Alt-f2 wasn't working for me and found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1474589

The thread obviously referred to the old Gnome2 days so I improvised, instead of system I went to Applications->Other->Keyboard Input Methods and when I clicked on that it told me that iBus was not started and do I want to start it yes or no. I clicked on yes and I get that. If I click on no it just quits and nothing happens.

I don't even know what iBus is, so I didn't mess around with it, instead I went the delete every hidden file in the home folder and log out and back in route... it did fix my problem.

philinux
February 26th, 2012, 10:38 PM
If in doubt use ubuntu-bug linux and the launchpad guys will change it.

DeathShot
February 26th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Ok. Bug report submitted. I feel good helping out :P

Paqman
February 26th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Actually what do you even mean by packages?

A package is a discrete bundle of software. They're what your system downloads from the repos and installs when it does updates. On Ubuntu-like systems they have the file extension .deb. A package could be an application, a library used by apps, a bunch of files such as artwork, or even a "meta-package" that functions solely to control what other packages are installed.

You can search through all the available packages through a tool like Synaptic or online at packages.ubuntu.com.

DeathShot
February 27th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Ahh, that is sort of what I thought. I have removed and added packages to my system then, but I still don't know how to find out which package was involved. There is an "ibus" package and a few others I tried, according to Synaptic Package Manager but Ubuntu-bug kept on telling me those things don't actually exist.