PDA

View Full Version : How to become a paid ubuntu developer?

MG&TL
February 26th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I love doing things for free and open-source, but it's not going to pay any bills, sadly. I'd love to become a paid ubuntu developer, it's probably my dream career-get paid to contribute all day, do my own choice of development for free all night. I have read the canonical jobs page, but I couldn't get much real-world advice from it.

My question, really, is how to maximise my chances of getting this reward. :)

State of play so far:

-I'm 15, living in the UK.

-I'm doing well with my GCSEs, predicted A* in the maths-based stuff and sciences.

-Have a sixth form place, taking computer science as an A-level next year, along with maths, physics, and chemistry. (science is my backup plan)

-Learning code ASAP, covered C, C++, python and beginning on basic web-based languages now. TODO: finish learning the web-based langauges (might take a while), might look at assembly and java after that.

-Familiar with launchpad, and bazaar, by extension .

-Not so good on hardware.

-Been into computers a year now.

-Contributed to a few projects, nothing to get myself noticed in the throng though. Hope that will change shortly.

-Learning as much about Ubuntu and Linux in general, I mess about with as much as possible to see how it works. (and doesn't!).

-Addicted to running the development release.

-Likely not going to be able to afford university, although this is subject to change.

Questions:

-is university a must, or can it be worked around?

-How likely is my dream job?

-What else should/could I learn?

-I'm not "located in Asia"-is that a major problem?

-Anyone here actually employed by Canonical?

So can I have you older ones' advice as to what and where I should go? I would appreciate it. I have spent a while googling, but a lot isn't relevant; a lot costs a masses (the red hat exams, for one), and a lot is confusing and contradictory. Thanks.

For those of you not familiar with the british education system, we start at four years of age, have primary school from 4-11, secondary school from 11-16 (GCSE), sixth form from 16-18 (A-level), and then university.

JDShu
February 26th, 2012, 08:59 PM
It sounds like you're doing the right thing. If you want to work for Canonical, then work on the Ubuntu specific projects.

University is preferable because you can learn some of the harder stuff with guidance, but it can theoretically be worked around, if you are able to learn the stuff by yourself. Since you still have a couple of years, for now you should just try to become the best developer you can be.

Btw, GCSEs and A-Levels are pretty much a joke internationally, in terms of difficulty. Do what you can to get good grades to maximize your chances of getting into a good university, but learning by yourself on the side is absolutely essential.

BrokenKingpin
February 26th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Got to university for computer science with a focus on software engineering. Then get some experience, then apply for jobs at Canonical.

University is not a must, but if you want to be a programmer, it helps to go to school for it. You wouldn't try to become a doctor without schooling first, the same applies to tech fields, whether you know the material or not.

MG&TL
February 26th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys...so University helps. I'm looking at/watching the CS topics from here (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#electrical-engineering-and-computer-science)...is that a good thing to be doing, or is being there in person necessary?

I know sub-university qualifications are a joke, half marks in one of my maths exams is a B-grade. :lol:

Lars Noodén
February 26th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Being there in person is at least half of the experience. You'll learn a lot from the people around you and if nothing else pick up the high (and low) points of their courses through your daily interactions. Myself I learned almost as much at dinners with my housemates as I did in formal classes since the discussions invariably turned towards people's specialties.

Paqman
February 26th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't necessarily confine your perspective to just Canonical. It's a fairly small company so openings will be pretty limited, and there are other big ones doing good stuff with Linux.

MG&TL
February 26th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't necessarily confine your perspective to just Canonical. It's a fairly small company so openings will be pretty limited, and there are other big ones doing good stuff with Linux.

Fair point. I just like the concept of Ubuntu, if they won't have me, I'll try elsewhere. :)

BrokenKingpin
February 27th, 2012, 01:14 AM
++

It is good to have a goal, but if you go down this path you really should have a strong passion for programming in general. That way if you don't end up exactly where you want then it isn't a huge deal. Who knows, Canonical might not be even doing Ubuntu by the time you get out of University.

cecilpierce
February 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM
@ MG&TL

Hows it going ? Havent seen you around lately.

Good luck with your developer project, ubuntu could use some good help :p

I know you looked into grub and burg, do you have any idea how to make two colums for the list os OS's instead of one so it would show more of them side by side ?

Thanks, Cec

haqking
February 27th, 2012, 01:51 PM
they have tons of jobs at canonical

http://www.canonical.com/about-canonical/careers

alot are in the UK right now and alot are home based

Contact them and see if they do internhsips or apprenticeship programs maybe ?

Cheers

juancarlospaco
February 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM
He should wait until +18 i think, but keep growing the knowHow :)

MG&TL
February 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM
@ MG&TL

Hows it going ? Havent seen you around lately.

Good luck with your developer project, ubuntu could use some good help :p

I know you looked into grub and burg, do you have any idea how to make two colums for the list os OS's instead of one so it would show more of them side by side ?

Thanks, Cec

I guess we frequent different forums. ;)

No, no idea, one of the failing points of that particular project was the API we were using had no documentation....whatsoever. I couldn't even get icons working. :) I'll look into burg docs, though. Happy days... How are you? EDIT: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg has some good stuff on theming, down in the middle somewhere. I think you can do it with a new table entry..

Hi haqking, that's a great idea. I think you can do summer jobs/internships in the UK, as long as you're not paid, so I'll give it a go and see what I get. Wow, lots of jobs...Mark must be very rich indeed.

@juan-possibly, but I can always dream. :)

Zlatan
February 28th, 2012, 10:16 PM
You could try Ubuntu ISV partners (http://webapps.ubuntu.com/partners/isv/).
IBM, Red Hat and Novell are much into linux so you could try their possibe internship programs as well.
$0.02 ;)

MG&TL
February 29th, 2012, 06:00 PM
You could try Ubuntu ISV partners (http://webapps.ubuntu.com/partners/isv/).
IBM, Red Hat and Novell are much into linux so you could try their possibe internship programs as well.
$0.02 ;)

Yup, might try those if I hear nothing back from the Ubuntu guys. I did email them, but I got an automated message saying I would be given lowest priority as I wasn't a business customer.