View Full Version : [other] Switching to Ubuntu, problems with some external devices

harish kharel
February 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Hi everybody,
New to ubuntu, just a 5 days child. I used windows previously. As I have switched to ubuntu, I had some problems to make myself habitual to ubuntu. But along side I have many devices that i used to use with windows but after switching to ubuntu, i could not get the drivers for this operating system. for example I had a USB TV card. So I need a help, if there are any alternatives to use it with Ubuntu

February 26th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Hello harish and welcome to Ubuntu/Linux,

there are a few hardware manufacturers who supply Linux drivers for their merchandise. Maybe you are lucky and yours is/are of this kind. Then you should be able to find the necessary packages and documentation on the manufacturers website.

If not, there's yet no need for despair. Since Linux is full of very dedicated people, many third-party drivers have been written to make your hardware available in Linux. Could you provide the forum with more details as to what exactly is the hardware you wish to use under Linux?

February 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
My first tip would be to dig deep into the abyss of the manufacturer's website, you can often find Linux drivers, sometimes filed away in Help and Support, Downloads, Documentation, or other nonsensical crevasses of the internet. If not, post information about the specific device, there might be an open source alternative floating around, but you'll need to be specific about what you have.

Mark Phelps
February 26th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Folks act like finding Linux drivers is some "mystical art" -- but unfortunately, it's not. The sorry fact is that there are very few hardware builders that make Linux drivers.

For TV-related drivers, you should check out MythTV. They have a list of supported cards and drivers. If your is not on the list, then like so many hardware devices, your is simply not supported.