PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu gives you wings.

Hobomank
February 26th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Hey guys! I don't know if this is the right forum for this but as a new(ish) user of ubuntu I'de like to say its just freakin amazing. I currently do not have access to any new computers at the moment and ubuntu/linux has helped me resurrect all of my old pcs. Now im running one as web surfer and another as a home music server. God only knows what options I have for the other two. I would never be able to do anything like this in windows without dropping some serious cash.

I, like many people who havent used linux much, was expecting extreme problems connecting my wireless usb card in ubuntu. But you know what? you crazy SOB's created an OS that automatically found my card, connected me to the net wirelessly before i even had the freakin' thing installed on my system. It took me approx. two days to do the exact same thing with windows XP!

Thank you guys for delivering a stable, smart, and completely customizable distro.

Keep Rockin':guitar:

P.S. whats the deal with Unity though guys? Gnome 3 rocks, why not use it lol

3rdalbum
February 26th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Thank you guys for delivering a stable, smart, and completely customizable distro.

Glad to hear your story.

Technically, Unity is based on Gnome infrastructure; so Ubuntu is using Gnome 3. Just not Gnome Shell.

You can install Gnome Shell on Ubuntu easily enough; it's in the repositories. Once installed you can activate it on the login screen.

I think Gnome Shell is awesome too, and there are things in it I'd like to see in Unity. But in the end Unity is just a little more out-there and has some really good ideas that maximise usable screen space and bring the Linux desktop bang up-to-date. Gnome has a Not Invented Here attitude toward accepting code from Ubuntu which I think is why Ubuntu built its own desktop shell rather than building on top of Gnome Shell.

enjoijesus94
February 26th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Hey guys! I don't know if this is the right forum for this but as a new(ish) user of ubuntu I'de like to say its just freakin amazing. I currently do not have access to any new computers at the moment and ubuntu/linux has helped me resurrect all of my old pcs. Now im running one as web surfer and another as a home music server. God only knows what options I have for the other two. I would never be able to do anything like this in windows without dropping some serious cash.

I, like many people who havent used linux much, was expecting extreme problems connecting my wireless usb card in ubuntu. But you know what? you crazy SOB's created an OS that automatically found my card, connected me to the net wirelessly before i even had the freakin' thing installed on my system. It took me approx. two days to do the exact same thing with windows XP!

Haha your telling me

im still on 10.10

using BlackBuntu 10.10 tho haha

well im glad you like linux my friend.

The Force Be Strong Friend :popcorn:

Hobomank
February 26th, 2012, 04:46 AM
thanks man

You can install Gnome Shell on Ubuntu easily enough; it's in the repositories. Once installed you can activate it on the login screen.

Oh i've already done that :D another amazing thing about linux. if i dont like the gui I can change it.

I also hear its not doing so well up against windows 7, but hell if i'm going to buy a copy just so i can use it on one machine lol.