PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing a Canon MP495 in 11.10???

ppcli
February 26th, 2012, 12:49 AM
OK, I'm a new guy.

I've been running Ubuntu for about a year now (11.10) mainly because I enjoy it's simplicity and the whole free open source thing. That being said, I am not a programmer and have never used the terminal before. The most I've done is use gparted to re-format a drive.

What I'm trying to do is install a printer. It's a Canon Pixma MP-495. All I need is a printing capability without all the fancy stuff, scanning would be nice too. I don't even care about the wireless/networking stuff and am more than content to go my desk and plug it into my laptop.

I've done some searches and most of guides I've found were only partially descriptive and are written for those with a little more knowledge. I'm willing to learn but computers aren't my business and I don't want to read war and peace just to get my printer going. That being said I'm open to learning what I need.

Can someone tune me into an easy step by step way to install this printer? Mods if this is in the wrong spot then feel free to move me where I need to be.:)

PapaGary
February 26th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Look here (http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/06/download-install-canon-printer-driver.html).

colin.p
March 2nd, 2012, 01:49 AM
Thanks, I knew a quick search would find what I'm looking for. I just bought a cheap Pixma MP-495 from Walmart to replace my HP 6500 wireless printer that started with the dreaded "Ink System Failure" error and puked out all three of my full color cartridges. We got it finally to print but I wanted another printer as a backup and Walmart had the Canon on for cheap. Now that I found your link for the driver, the HP will be relegated to "rare" usage and I'll just use the Canon.

edit:
If someone at some point in the future wants the complete driver, see this link
http://support-au.canon.com.au/P/search?model=PIXMA+MP495&menu=download&filter=0&tagname=g_os&g_os=Linux

allg
May 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I just installed the Canon MP495 in Ubuntu 12.04 with URI lpd://[printer-ip]:515 and it worked out of the box :)