PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics Mode

daveraxit
February 25th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I am using Ubuntu 11.04 and in this os how can i open graphic terminal.

23dornot23d
February 25th, 2012, 08:27 PM
A little more info would be useful here but like the computer you use and the graphics card

Doing

startx

may work ....

or

lspci

To see what you have post some results back from that command if you would please.

Mark Phelps
February 25th, 2012, 10:48 PM
What exactly is a "graphics terminal"?

Opening a terminal window, by definition, opens a command-line interface which is text, not graphics.

If you want to open a Terminal window, click the Dash button, type Terminal and select the Terminal app.

MAFoElffen
February 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Click on applications > Type Terminal in the filter > click on the Terminal App. (Unity)

--OR--

Press <Cntl><Alt><T>

That's what you were asking right?

By the way you asked, that could easily be confused with you not getting to the desktop at all. If not, then tell us.

23dornot23d
February 26th, 2012, 01:50 AM
By the way you asked, that could easily be confused with you not getting to the desktop at all. If not, then tell us.

Yep sorry - I took it that the use could not get any display up - and if it is just a graphical
terminal in the display window that is needed ......

then

ctrl + alt + t

for a graphical terminal

or

in the Dash in Unity .... type in terminal

or

in Gnome-Shell ..... go top left .... and in the applications search ...... type terminal

But the way I interpreted it was that you had no graphics in my first response ... may
have been the wrong answer after re-reading this ...... :confused: .......

MAFoElffen
February 26th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Yep sorry - I took it that the use could not get any display up - and if it is just a graphical
terminal in the display window that is needed ......

then

ctrl + alt + t

for a graphical terminal

or

in the Dash in Unity .... type in terminal

or

in Gnome-Shell ..... go top left .... and in the applications search ...... type terminal

But the way I interpreted it was that you had no graphics in my first response ... may
have been the wrong answer after re-reading this ...... :confused: .......
@23dornot23d
You have it now, I think... If the OP will confirm.

Can you cover this for at least a day? I'm trying to update my Resume and one of my Server's that I have set up as examples to support my Resume. Putting in for a local System Admin job.

daveraxit
March 1st, 2012, 04:50 PM

Actually this is server base version there is only command line interface so i need to know how can i use graphically this OS?

Mark Phelps
March 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM
If you told us you were runnig the Server version (which is Command Line only by default), that would have saved us a lot of misdirection ...

Anyway, read through the link below:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-gui-on-ubuntu-11-04-natty-server.html