PDA

View Full Version : Why get I sick playing race-games on Linux?

Bazon
February 25th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Today I tried the new CoreBreach Race-Game, and it had the same effect as Supertux Kart before:
After not more than 2 minutes, I feel real sick. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against these games, but they make me physically sick, I feel dizzy, my head is spinning.

Playing SpeedX 3D on android or e.g. Need for Speed on Windows don't cause that dizzyness, so I wonder: What causes it?

Of course, I hope it isn't Linux.
Other possible factors:

My monitor on my Linux-Machine is bigger: it's a 16:9 21" compared to a 4:3 19" device on my windows machine compared to a 4,5" device on android.
On Android and on windows, I got analog control (accelaration sesnor / steering wheel), on Linux only digital input (keyboard).
Or is it the game itself?

Does anyone have the same problems? What can cause that dizzyness?

Dry Lips
February 25th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Dizzyness after playing computer games isn't unheard of. I remember becoming really dizzy in my youth on one occasion after I'd playing Doom 2 for a while. :-&

Watching fast movements on screens may trigger certain involuntary responses, so called orienting reflexes. I'm not sure if those are the cause of your dizziness, but you'll at least have to be aware of the fact that the use of computer games, television and excessive use of the computer has a cognitive impact.

matbluvenger
February 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Yup, dizziness from fast moving games is quite common, especially 3D graphics... not so much anymore but I remember a lot of people being bothered when Nintendo 64 came out :D

There's most likely something about the graphics in the game that bothers your senses.

oldos2er
February 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM
http://xbox.about.com/od/buyersguide/a/vgmosick.htm

drawkcab
February 25th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Motion sickness. Better stick to something more tame.

mips
February 25th, 2012, 08:52 PM
try swapping the two monitors around and see if it makes a difference. the wide screen might requiring more peripheral vision might be the issue.

forrestcupp
February 26th, 2012, 03:29 AM
On Android and on windows, I got analog control (accelaration sesnor / steering wheel), on Linux only digital input (keyboard).

I would say this is most likely the reason. Digital input on a race game is a lot jerkier than analog.

MisterGaribaldi
February 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Yeah, I get motion sick in a lot of immersive games.

Something like meclizine (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000709/), who's common trade name is Bonine, taken 30 minutes in advance does the trick for me.

Bazon
February 26th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks for linking that article!

I tried some hints, and it least it got better:

Played in the day time --> in a bright room
changed camera perspective: not the confusing varaible following camera, but the camera fixed too the vehicle.
increased distance to the screen.

Switching monitors is not that easy, as the monitor on my Linux computer (without windows) at my sofa is attached to a wooden structure by severall screws...

Bazon
February 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Anyway, the movements in CoreBreach are very violent, I think that is really a factor...

detroit/zero
February 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Might want to try adjusting your screen refresh rate. If you're in DE, then you probably have a refresh rate of 50Hz, right? Try 60, or better yet, 72Hz (if possible).

DangerOnTheRanger
February 27th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I don't get dizzy from racing games, but games where the screen flashes at a high rate (think Marvel vs. Capcom 1/2) tend to give me a headache.

Still, I've never heard of dizziness from racing games - you may want to ask a doctor about that.