PDA

View Full Version : Web logs and other peoples images

Simian
June 9th, 2006, 08:59 PM
If you see an image on another web site that you would like to use on your website is it normally ok to use it providing you provide a link to the original site and say where you got it from?

I'm not sure what the standard procedure is? I know that you could try to contact the person from the original site but it's not always that easy.

I'm not really talking about getting sued (all though of course I wouldn't want to be). I'm really just refering to good etiquette.

Stormy Eyes
June 9th, 2006, 09:03 PM
If you see an image on another web site that you would like to use on your website is it normally ok to use it providing you provide a link to the original site and say where you got it from?

That's reasonable. Give credit where it's due and comply with any "please remove my work" requests and you should be fine.

mostwanted
June 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM
You can't copy something that is copyrighted unless it's specifically licensed in a way that makes it available for just that. That said, unless you're stealing site logos and exclusive press photos, probably no one will care.

m.musashi
June 9th, 2006, 09:06 PM

I'm not sure what the standard procedure is? I know that you could try to contact the person from the original site but it's not always that easy.

I'm not really talking about getting sued (all though of course I wouldn't want to be). I'm really just refering to good etiquette.
This is essentially a copyright issue and, to sum up copyright law, if you didn't make it or buy it you can't use it (unless you have permission). That said, there is a lot out there that is "in the public domain" and that includes stuff on most government sites (at least the US government). If you want to be proper you would get permission if it isn't copyright free.

Of course most people don't seem to give a rip about copyright so unless you are taking from Disney or some other anal company you will probably be okay. If you are making a commercial site, thought, I would be careful.

Brunellus
June 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM
some people are explicit about their copyrights. My own photos online, for instance, are Creative Commons Non-Commercial/NoDerivs.

Simian
June 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
ok, so the chances are that if I'm not making money out of the site and I do say where the content came from then most people don't care. How can you see if an image has a copyright.

I'll give you an example. www.limpfish.com has some very funny photo's. That seems to be the only point to that website. So if I put one of those photo's in a website and link that photo to his/her site and said where I got it from, then I wouldn't be stepping on any ones toes.

Of course I could just contact them and ask permission. I just wondered how most people would handle it as I'm new to this.

m.musashi
June 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Sites with original work usually mention a copyright and whether or not the images can be used. If there is no copyright notice then it's a good bet the site in question also borrowed them from somewhere. Given the ubiquitousness of the web, that is pretty much the story all around. You can try and track down the original copyright holder but it's probably not worth it. As someone mentioned, unless you are contacted and asked to remove the images you are probably okay.