PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot Write to NTFS partition or Change the ownership from root

strider357
February 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Hi,
I have an NTFS partition(/dev/sda4) with the LABEL="New Volume" which i used to mount without any problem (i.e. i could read and write files to this partion as a normal user) using the following line in the /etc/fstab file

/dev/sda4 /media/MyDisk ntfs noexec,rw 0 0

But recently i have changed the label of the NTFS partition(I dont know why, probably just for fun ](*,)) to "MaveriK". After that i have a problem accessing the NTFS volume as a normal user. I couldnt even view the partition. I thought maybe tweaking the /etc/fstab would solve the problem

/dev/sda4 /media/MyDisk ntfs-3g exec,rw,umask=000,users 0 0

After changing this i could only view the partion as a normal user, but still the ownership of the NTFS volume is only to root(even after using umask=000) and i can no longer modify the files on this partition.
Please suggest what i could possibly do to use the partition as a normal user.
Thanks in advance.

Morbius1
February 25th, 2012, 02:37 PM
It's possible that the partition is no longer sda4. That happens and it's why the current way to mount partitions is with UUID's not the legacy /sdxy designation.

** Run the following command and see if it's mounted where you think it's mounted:

mount** Confirm how the system sees that partition:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null** Unmount the partition:

sudo umount /media/MyDiskAnd redo the line in fstab to something like this:

UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/MyDisk ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0Change the DA9056C19056A3B3 part to the number you get from the "blkid" command.

Then run the following command to test for errors and if there are none mount the partition with the new fstab definition:

sudo mount -a

strider357
February 25th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Yes i have changed the mount option with the UUID of the ntfs partition in /etc/fstab as suggested. The partition mounts at startup without any errors. But still i can READ ONLY the files as a normal user. I am not able to write to that partition unless i use a root access.

Morbius1
February 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I wonder if the package ntfs-3g is not installed in which case it would be the old read only version.

Install it:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
If it's already there reinstall it:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install ntfs-3g
You will have to unmount and then "sudo mount -a" again.

strider357
February 25th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Hi Morbius1, thanks for trying to help me out.
I have installed ntfs-3g also but it didnt do much help.

I actually installed Ubuntu 11.10 recently and i could mount the ntfs partion(LABEL="New Volume") as a normal user(without modifying /etc/fstab) and i also had R/W permissions. I think its a problem of ownership on the ntfs partition. I still have same version of Ubuntu but after changing the ntfs volume label recently, it is owned by ROOT and i am not able to mount or have R/W permissions on the ntfs partition as a NORMAL user.

p-dh
February 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
From my experience, changing the user or rights on an NTFS partition doesn't work easily (something that messes me up whenever I set up Unison to synchronize between my server and an NTFS drive). Anyhow, I have had no problems with mounting my drives - and accessing them by simply using the defaults option in fstab. My fstab entry looks like:

UUID=72047E4A047E10F9 /media/lwdata ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

This applies for all of my NTFS partitions and allows for them to be properly handled if I boot into Windows.

Peace,
Paul :cool:

strider357
February 26th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Hi Paul as i had mentioned earlier the /etc/fstab entry worked fine to me(I had R/W permissions as normal user), but that was before i changed the ntfs volume name. Only after changing the ntfs volume name i am starting to have problems.

So could you please help me out with changing the user rights on the ntfs partition without messing with the data present there.

strider357
February 26th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I have been tweaking with /etc/fstab. Thankfully the following mount options in the /etc/fstab to mount my ntfs partition has given me R/W permissions as a normal user:

UUID=77777777779257C7 /media/MyDisk ntfs-3g exec,rw,umask=000,users,gid=users 0 0

Adding gid=users in the mount options has done the job. Now i can read and write to that ntfs partition.:grin:

Thanks for trying to help me out.