PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Latest version on Netbook Asus 901

Robin.Muilwijk
February 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Hi,

I have an Asus Netbook 901. It has an on board 4Gb and 8Gb SSD. Is it possible to install the latest Ubuntu on it?

And if so, can I use the below partitioning?

C: /, /var, /tmp
D: /usr, /home

/var would be getting a fair amount of the 4Gb, and /usr and /home would be split equally over the 8Gb.

Thanks and regards, Robin

p.s. it has 1Gb RAM and an Atom 1.6Ghz proc.

3rdalbum
February 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Assuming that the 4GiB SSD is not read-only, then that sounds possible.

However I think a better idea would be to put your entire / onto the 8 GiB SSD, and format the 4 GiB SSD so it has 1 GiB swap and the rest as another Ext4 partition for extra user storage.

That way you don't lose so much space from partitioning, and there's no risk that you'll make /usr too big (wasteful) or too small for your needs.

Robin.Muilwijk
February 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Assuming I'd follow your advice, and put /(root) on the 8Gb SSD, should I define any other partitions on it or just keep it at / (root). Of course with the swap on the 4Gb SSD.

So no custom partition setup for /usr, /home and others? Good point on the /usr size, no idea at the moment how big it should be. Just checking for confirmation I only need /(root).

Regards Robin

interglossa
May 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I wonder how this worked out. I got all kinds of problems with my acers
(a 701 and 901) with trying to install 12.04. The 701 gave me pae errors
so I ended up testing lubuntu 12.04 which is not what I wanted to do - I wonder if using the mini.iso would mean that I could install ubuntu and
not lubuntu.

Also, I found that my 901 was giving me IO write errors and something like
"cannot unmount /media/cdrom" even though I was first trying a live usb
boot to get a first look at it.

Please let us know if you have installed the 901 - it is kind of sad that these early netbooks might not be candidates for more recent ubuntu releases since that was supposed to be ubuntu's forte, covering old platforms...

Robin.Muilwijk
May 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hi,

It worked out for me quite well. Installed the previous version a few months ago. This was done on my Asus 901 with a 4Gb SSD and 8Gb SSD.

I chose to install Ubuntu, did not set any custom settings during install, and put it on the 8Gb SDD so it has plenty of room.

A few weeks ago I did the upgrade to 12.04, also without problem.

Hope this helps, regards Robin

brufferman
February 15th, 2013, 08:45 PM
This topic is of interest to me also, but, I have the Asus 901 with 4gb and 16gb drives. This annoying thing is that the 16gb drive is a fair bit slower than the 4gb drive.

Is it generally not possible to slim down the latest ubuntu for the 4GB drive?

regards to all who reply :)

snowpine
February 15th, 2013, 09:06 PM
This topic is of interest to me also, but, I have the Asus 901 with 4gb and 16gb drives. This annoying thing is that the 16gb drive is a fair bit slower than the 4gb drive.

Is it generally not possible to slim down the latest ubuntu for the 4GB drive?

regards to all who reply :)

Running the latest Ubuntu with Unity desktop on an old Asus EEE will probably be quite slow. I think Lubuntu (LXDE desktop) will fit on 4gb (though it would be a tight squeeze).