PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dreamweaver

vagelism
February 25th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Hello to All!
Is there any software like Dreamweaver (on windows) for web developing?
Thank you.

Paqman
February 25th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Dreamweaver itself runs fine in Wine (or at least MX used to when I used it a few years ago).

There are a few Linux native clones of Dreamweaver such as Kompozer, and normally I'd always recommend using an actual Linux app, but none of them were really as good as Dreamweaver last time I tried them.

I'd be wary of getting too reliant on a tool like Dreamweaver right now though. The web is changing very quickly, and if you want to build things properly you're going to need to be learning HTML5 and CSS3, which you may find aren't well supported by WYSIWYG tools like Dreamweaver. By all means use them if you find it helps your workflow, but be careful about what kind of code they produce.

andrew.46
February 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM
The web is changing very quickly, and if you want to build things properly you're going to need to be learning HTML5 and CSS3, which you may find aren't well supported by WYSIWYG tools like Dreamweaver.

I notice that my old friend Bluefish has grown an HTML5 toolbar even :). I have to confess though that I still use 4.01 strict for my own pages... So a big vote for spending some time with Bluefish rather than getting Dreamweaver to run on your existing system.

sarton85
February 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Is there any software like Dreamweaver (on windows) for web developing?

A few years ago I was asking myself the same question. I had Dreamweaver MX running in Wine, but I wanted to have a native WYSIWYG Linux application for web development. Finally I decided to try to learn HTML and CSS coding myself, using Bluefish and http://www.w3schools.com/.

It is not that difficult and I am not looking back ever since. The code Dreamweaver generates is way too bloated. If you're serious about web development, learn coding form scratch and you'll be writing efficient code in no time.

Good luck!

Paqman
February 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM
If you're serious about web development, learn coding form scratch and you'll be writing efficient code in no time.

I'd say the two are't mutually exclusive. Dreamweaver still has a lot of useful workflow and error-checking tools in it if even if you're coding everything by hand (especially on large sites).

Just don't use Dreamweaver instead of learning to code.

rewyllys
February 25th, 2012, 03:34 PM
In the old days (i.e., before becoming a Linux fan), I used Dreamweaver.

But these days I actually prefer using Bluefish to do the HTML coding, Chrome and Firefox to check the resulting pages, and Filezilla to handle the uploading and downloading.

This combination of tools may sound clumsier than using Dreamweaver, but I find the process clearer and the resultant Webpages cleaner and more satisfactory.

vagelism
February 25th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Thank you all for your help!

mapes12
February 25th, 2012, 08:54 PM
As others have noted there is no Dreamweaver equivalent or at least anything as good as Dreamweaver for Linux. I need to use Dreamweaver a lot for maintaining my sites. I've had some success with Wine but DW ran very slow. It pains me for saying this but the only way I've got any version of DW to run quickly on my Ubu box is on windoze installed inside a Virtual Box. Try this link:-

https://www.virtualbox.org/

The main resource you need is RAM. 4GB or more should be fine to share between host and guest OS's. This config works fast with XP.