PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WD5000AAKX can't be seen

Likeacupcake
February 25th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Hello!

I'm having a tiny bit of trouble: I've just built a new system from scratch, and I've got a Western Digital 500GB harddrive installed.

I have it connected the power in series with my ODD from the PSU, and the ODD LED shines when I boot up the computer, and have tried to plug my HDD into a 6.0GB/s port, and a 3.0GB/s port.

At the moment, if I press eject on my ODD the LED blinks, but the tray does not extend.

When I get to the install section of Ubuntu, it has the 4.5 GB requirement grayed out, but all overs are checked.

All parts are new, including the HDD. It has never been written to, or read apparently.:(

Any help please?

sanderj
February 25th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Start up your computer, go into the BIOS settings, and check if your BIOS sees your HDD and ODD.

Los Frijoles
February 25th, 2012, 09:44 AM
What are your motherboard specs? The hard drive visibility could be a driver issue.

If I understand correctly, the ODD should be ejecting as well but it isn't. That sounds more like a hardware issue to me. Maybe it is defective? Do you have another one you could test?

Likeacupcake
February 25th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I've just got back from a chat with someone at a computer store, who had a look at both.

It appears an electrical fault in one has shorted out both.

Thanks for your help!