PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I Create Independently Booting Hard Drives?

DaimyoKirby
February 25th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I have a little bit of a peculiar request;
I currently have 3 hard drives, but only two slots on my Dell Dimension 4400. One has Windows XP, the other I want to eventually wipe and use as a secondary drive, and the third has Xubuntu 11.10 installed.
First of all, is it possible to keep xubuntu on the one harddrive, windows xp on the other, and just switch them out, and they'll both still be able to boot without the other needing to be plugged in?
Secondly, would I be able to use the third hard drive I mentioned, the one without an OS on it, as a secondary had drive, per say, which will hold most(if not all) of the personal/program files for both of the two OS's?
Or would it be more efficient to just keep both the hard drives with the OS's plugged in, and not even bother with the third drive?

Paqman
February 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Sure. If you can fit two hard drives inside the machine then you could install Win XP on one, Ubuntu on the other and choose which to boot when you start the machine (Ubuntu can set this up for you really easily).

Your third drive could be attached to a USB port or an eSATA if you have one and used for files and data. You can get enclosures to do this, they're cheap and they'll protect the drive. If it's a laptop sized drive you should even be able to get away with powering it just over USB.

DaimyoKirby
February 25th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Oh, ok. Thanks.