PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] opening denied

dvdbpmphry
February 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I cannot open software downloads on Ubuntu 11.10.

YesGood
February 24th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hi

Type in the terminal

sudo nameofsoftware

Luck

donkyhotay
February 24th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Umm... more information is necessary. I wouldn't recommend blindly trying to open the file with sudo as YesGood recommended. While it *may* work, doing things with sudo can be dangerous and create problems down the road. First of all, what software download are you talking about? Are you trying to install a program in the software center? Launch a program downloaded from software center? Are you trying to access the downloads folder? Open a file downloaded from the internet? The more you tell us the better we will be able to give relevant help and advice.

dvdbpmphry
February 25th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the replys. I cannot open downloads from the Internet (e.g. myheritage.com). I am new to Ubuntu, so any info you need to help solve problems, you must ask for by using " this, then this, then this". I hope you can understand me.

Dave

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 01:40 AM
OK, I went to myheritage.com. I landed on the German version because I live in Germany, but I don't think that is an issue.

What is offered there is a program to make a family tree. Is this what you mean?

That program is a file that ends in .exe . This is a windows program and will not run on Linux. For that particular instance, if you really want to use that program, you will need a virtual machine with a windows on it, or simply a computer running windows.

For other things, there is possibly an alternative that runs on linux. There is one for most common uses, and also for a lot of less common things.

HeroOfCanton
February 25th, 2012, 01:49 AM
You could try wine if you really need to run that particular program. It's not a given it will work though.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

audiomick
February 25th, 2012, 01:55 AM
You could try wine..

Oh, yeah, forgot about that... ;)

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Hello

What Are Your Trying To Install?

And Have You Tried Opening It Through Terminal?

donkyhotay
February 25th, 2012, 02:13 AM
I didn't download it myself but from the website it looks like a genealogy program, there is a native linux genealogy program called GRAMPS which is fully compatible with GEDcom files. It's in the repo's and would be much easier to install then trying to get a windows application installed via wine. If you don't know about the repo's just do a search in the ubuntu software center for 'gramps' and that will help you download/install it automatically.