PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Would like to start helping with issues

Jake5
February 24th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Hello, I am new to Linux all together. I have been unsure about linux for years, but have always wanted to give it a try. I recently installed 11.10 and I will never go back to windows or a mac...ecxept for when i absolutely need them. I love the open source format, I love the entire Libre lineup. I have had my fair share of bugs to work out, fairly simple stuff really, my computers wouldnt shut down after i installed another user account, fixed with sudo update-data...etc.. Anyways I am anxious to start helping with other issues, Im not incredibly handy in the terminal, but i would like to be. If anyone has a good starter project recomendation, I would love to do whatever i can to learn more and eventually start fixing actual bugs, or writing programs, or whatever. I just want to help...real bad.

roelforg
February 24th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I'd say (i'm assuming you wanna be a poweruser here):
* Try learning C/C++ (C++ is more powerful and is easier and learning C after that will help a lot)
* Browse around a bit here
* Get some experience in using ubuntu normally (you'll need that)
* Learn to use Google efficiently (timesaver!)
* Learn Bash (basics are usually enough)
* Take some computers apart and put them back together (hands on is the best way to learn what hw is in your pc)
* After the Bash basics, get some experience in the cli.
* And questions are always a good thing here.
* ALWAYS remember that with linux, the cli is THE most powerful thing there is.

I'll add some when i think of them.

Also, those problems with your pc's; create a few threads here for them so we can all help solve them. This will get you some feeling for the system.

Jake5
February 24th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I'd say (i'm assuming you wanna be a poweruser here):
* Try learning C/C++ (C++ is more powerful and is easier and learning C after that will help a lot)
* Browse around a bit here
* Get some experience in using ubuntu normally (you'll need that)
* Learn to use Google efficiently (timesaver!)
* Learn Bash (basics are usually enough)
* Take some computers apart and put them back together (hands on is the best way to learn what hw is in your pc)
* After the Bash basics, get some experience in the cli.
* And questions are always a good thing here.
* ALWAYS remember that with linux, the cli is THE most powerful thing there is.

I'll add some when i think of them.

Also, those problems with your pc's; create a few threads here for them so we can all help solve them. This will get you some feeling for the system.

Ok Now i have some questions. firstly, what does c++ have to do with linux, i was under the assumption that it was a programing language for microsoft...not being rude, genuinely interested. What is a cli? and Bash for that matter? I would be happy to google these if you feel this is redundant info. And thank you for your responce.

roelforg
February 24th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Ok Now i have some questions. firstly, what does c++ have to do with linux, i was under the assumption that it was a programing language for microsoft...not being rude, genuinely interested. What is a cli? and Bash for that matter? I would be happy to google these if you feel this is redundant info. And thank you for your responce.

No, you're thinking of VISUAL-c++.
Try reading the tut at www.cplusplus.com they cover all the basics.
CLI: Command Line Interface (you'll know it as terminal)
Bash: the program proving the CLI; also known as the shell (google will provide a better explanation)
C++ Originally an extension to C but has grown to a fully-fledged programming language (personal favorite)
C The programming language invented by AT&T and the language the Linux kernel was written in

roelforg
February 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
BTW. Please use the enter key; it makes your posts easier to read (no troll intended)

Jake5
February 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM
No, you're thinking of VISUAL-c++.
Try reading the tut at www.cplusplus.com they cover all the basics.
CLI: Command Line Interface (you'll know it as terminal)
Bash: the program proving the CLI; also known as the shell (google will provide a better explanation)
C++ Originally an extension to C but has grown to a fully-fledged programming language (personal favorite)
C The programming language invented by AT&T and the language the Linux kernel was written in

Thank you once again, noble of you to help.
And I will hit the enter key.
Sorry, joining this forum is another first for me.
I'm just glad I used the quote tool right the first time.

grahammechanical
February 24th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Something to read about contributing to Ubuntu.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/get-involved

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment

Here are the transcripts of the recent Ubuntu Developer Week irc chat sessions. They have explanations on how to get involved and an invitation to do so.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek

Or start out by giving advice on these forums. Notice the advice that others give and if it works pass it on to others. Add your own experiences.

Regards.

Jake5
February 24th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Thank you guys for all of the resources I think my current skill set will prove usefull in converting my friends. It wont be long though till i've got this thing down... Seriously, Thank you all again.

roelforg
February 24th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thank you guys for all of the resources I think my current skill set will prove usefull in converting my friends. It wont be long though till i've got this thing down... Seriously, Thank you all again.
Sure, that's why we're here.

andrew.46
February 27th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Perhaps you would be interested in chatting to the Ubuntu Beginners Team on Freenode? Aim you favourite irc application at #ubuntu-beginners-team for chat or #ubuntu-beginners to give and receive assistance.

MG&TL
February 27th, 2012, 08:47 AM
And you could post in help topics here to get your eye in. :)