PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome Shell: Wallpaper jumps up and down when opening Activities

The Bright Side
February 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hello Ubuntu lovers! Has anybody experienced this: when opening the "Activities" overview in Gnome Shell, the wallpaper jumps up. It seems like it's anchored to the panel by the top edge, rather than anchored to the bottom of the screen by the bottom edge.

Any way to change that behaviour? I'm sure a simple CSS edit somewhere will do it... But I don't know where to look.

oldos2er
February 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Moved to Desktop Environments.

The Bright Side
February 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks oldos2er, I noticed after posting that it belongs there, but could not find out how to move it myself.

Copper Bezel
February 24th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I think you're experiencing a problem where the Nautilus backdrop renders a menubar. You can't see it, because it's under your opaque panel, but it pushes the wallpaper down. When you switch to the Overview, the Nautilus backdrop disappears (which would normally just mean that any desktop icons disappeared, but due to the menubar, the Nautilus wallpaper and that of the root window don't line up.)

Try this fix, from a user named Krytarik, to disable the menu bar:

echo '[ "$DESKTOP_SESSION" != "ubuntu" ] || [ "$DESKTOP_SESSION" != "ubuntu-2d" ] && unset UBUNTU_MENUPROXY' | sudo tee /etc/X11/Xsession.d/81ubuntu-menu-proxy

Reset the Shell and see what happens.

The Bright Side
February 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hey Copper Bezel, thanks for the tip! Does this code go into the terminal? I executed the commands, reset and the behaviour remains the same.

EDIT: forget the above, it works after restart! Thanks!

Copper Bezel
February 26th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Sorry about that! But I'm glad it worked for you.

deciding39
March 11th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks for this, it's been driving me crazy! I've been searching for a fix for a week or two but I must have been describing the problem incorrecty. Worked perfecly after logging out and back in on 11.10 32-bit.