PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Mouse won't move

philmacdonald2
February 24th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Hi, for no apparent reason to me my mouse won't move at all. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 on a desktop and the mouse is connected on one of the old PS/2 green port mice. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse, starting up withoput the mouse plugged in and then adding it, and just booting with the mouse in the port, all to no avail.

I can get to terminal, so I should be able to fix this, I just don't know how.

HeroOfCanton
February 24th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Just in case, have you tried another mouse?

philmacdonald2
February 24th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Just in case, have you tried another mouse?
No, but I have tried the mouse in a different computer and it worked. It also works fine on the Win Vista OS (it's a dual boot machine).

Mouse does work, its something wrong inside Ubuntu.

roelforg
February 24th, 2012, 04:44 PM
No, but I have tried the mouse in a different computer and it worked. It also works fine on the Win Vista OS (it's a dual boot machine).

Mouse does work, its something wrong inside Ubuntu.
I'm gonna advise temp. hanging an USB-mouse to the pc so it'll be usable.

philmacdonald2
February 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I'm gonna advise temp. hanging an USB-mouse to the pc so it'll be usable.
Yes, that is a temporary solution. But I was wondering how I can get Ubuntu to see the PS/2 port to make the other mouse work. It did work on Ubuntu before, it just doesn't seem to work after I ran sudo apt-get update.

roelforg
February 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Yes, that is a temporary solution. But I was wondering how I can get Ubuntu to see the PS/2 port to make the other mouse work. It did work on Ubuntu before, it just doesn't seem to work after I ran sudo apt-get update.
What version are you using?
(Mine seems fine with my PS/2 mouse)

philmacdonald2
February 24th, 2012, 06:52 PM
What version are you using?
(Mine seems fine with my PS/2 mouse)
Running Ubuntu 11.10.
It did work for a while. It's just stopped after that update and hasn't worked since...
It seems like ubuntu can't detect that it is there. The little trackball thing (red light where the mouse detects movement - can't think of the name) doesn't light up anymore. Not sure exactly why, or how to fix it.

MG&TL
February 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM
The little trackball thing (red light where the mouse detects movement - can't think of the name) doesn't light up anymore. Not sure exactly why, or how to fix it.

Interesting...if you mean an infrared mouse, one of these : mouse (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=infrared+mouse&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=891&tbm=isch&tbnid=A7nzLlTRFfmwvM:&imgrefurl=http://hacknmod.com/hack/convert-an-optical-mouse-to-hand-held-scanner/&docid=lXVSqGi7OxKVdM&imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/2455729846_d5f70f0d2c.jpg&w=495&h=372&ei=8s9HT52YMdPb8gPq6qirDg&zoom=1)

the light going off means there's no power. If you and I didn't know better, I would definitely say the mouse has had it.

philmacdonald2
February 24th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Interesting...if you mean an infrared mouse, one of these : mouse (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=infrared+mouse&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=891&tbm=isch&tbnid=A7nzLlTRFfmwvM:&imgrefurl=http://hacknmod.com/hack/convert-an-optical-mouse-to-hand-held-scanner/&docid=lXVSqGi7OxKVdM&imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/2455729846_d5f70f0d2c.jpg&w=495&h=372&ei=8s9HT52YMdPb8gPq6qirDg&zoom=1)

the light going off means there's no power. If you and I didn't know better, I would definitely say the mouse has had it.
Yeah, thats the mouse I mean.
However if I boot Vista, the red bit lights up. And it works. So I don't think it's the mouse.

HeroOfCanton
February 24th, 2012, 11:16 PM
If it's working elsewhere it's not a bad mouse. No matter how much it sounds like one.

If someone would just invent a teleporter already I would send you a PS/2 to USB converter to test. :grin:

I read on another forum post that was really out of date (so no link) that someone managed to get it working by disabling the USB mouse and keyboard in BIOS. Worth a shot maybe?

HeroOfCanton
February 24th, 2012, 11:36 PM
One more older tip I stumbled on was to unload and reload the mouse module. Hopefully it's still relevant. Try dropping to terminal and typing the following:

rmmod psmouse ; modprobe psmouse

philmacdonald2
February 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
disabling the USB mouse and keyboard in BIOS. Any suggestions which one to disable? None of them seem relevant. http://flic.kr/p/bkikQ3

Also, when I type the command
rmmod psmouse ; modprobe psmouse I get the error
ERROR: Module psmouse does not exist in /proc/modules
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.0.0.16-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directoryDoes that maybe mean that the config file for the mouse is completely missing?

philmacdonald2
February 25th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Bump

MG&TL
February 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM
That is weird. What kernel are you using (I guess it could be using the wrong kernel)

uname -a

philmacdonald2
February 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM
That is weird. What kernel are you using (I guess it could be using the wrong kernel)

uname -a
it says:

linux phillip-Aspire-M3641 3.0.0-16-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 27 17:50:54 UTC 2012 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Seems like a fairly recent kernel. Maybe I need to update again? It might sort itself out then.

MG&TL
February 26th, 2012, 08:51 PM
it says:

linux phillip-Aspire-M3641 3.0.0-16-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 27 17:50:54 UTC 2012 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Seems like a fairly recent kernel. Maybe I need to update again? It might sort itself out then.

No, the kernel is the right version, I was thinking it was trying to read a config file for a kernel that didn't exist, or wasn't the right one...but it seems not.

output of:

ls /lib/modules/3.0.0.16-generic/

I know you probably did this anyway-but it should be:

sudo modprobe psmouse

What happens with this?

philmacdonald2
February 26th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I typed the modprobe psmouse command like that. Just to check, I typed it again, but the same error was returned.

The output of ls /lib/modules/3.0.0.16-generic/ is very odd:

ls: cannot access /lib/modules/3.0.0.16-generic/: No such file or directory

This seems to be hinting there are no modules there at all. Which is probably rather bad, and could explain a few things... :shock:

MG&TL
February 26th, 2012, 10:31 PM
No idea if it would work or not, but you could try reinstalling the kernel and rebooting. Somehow something must have deleted that file, it's there on my machine.

philmacdonald2
February 27th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Oh, okay then. My question is how do I reinstall the kernel without networking? (no modules, no network card detection or function...)

MG&TL
February 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Oh, okay then. My question is how do I reinstall the kernel without networking? (no modules, no network card detection or function...)

...you can't, really. You *can* download the package from the ubuntu repos on a connected machine, but you might have problems with dependencies. (I don't know which package supplies /lib/kernelversion/modules.dep...) and that assumes you have a connected machine.

You can also download a tarball from kernel.org, then build your own, but not recommended, and you can't report bugs. My suggestion would be to backup and reinstall. No idea how that file got deleted...

philmacdonald2
February 27th, 2012, 06:32 PM
...you can't, really. You *can* download the package from the ubuntu repos on a connected machine, but you might have problems with dependencies. (I don't know which package supplies /lib/kernelversion/modules.dep...) and that assumes you have a connected machine.

You can also download a tarball from kernel.org, then build your own, but not recommended, and you can't report bugs. My suggestion would be to backup and reinstall. No idea how that file got deleted...
Your guess is as good as mine as to how it was deleted. Maybe the update deleted it but never added another file... I haven't got a clue. Considering I already have a problem with dependencies, downloading the modules.dep only may make the problem even worse, especially because if I'm honest, I wouldn't know what I was doing.

I don't think it's a good idea to go down a route with no support, so I'll stick to the normal kernels. However, I've noticed a "Update Ubuntu 11.10 to 11.10" option in the install. Would that reinstall the OS without losing my data? I really don't want to start again... I'll have to set up all the samba and java configs, and that took me quite a while.

I don't know, it seems like that would work, but what do you think?

MG&TL
February 27th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Your guess is as good as mine as to how it was deleted. Maybe the update deleted it but never added another file... I haven't got a clue. Considering I already have a problem with dependencies, downloading the modules.dep only may make the problem even worse, especially because if I'm honest, I wouldn't know what I was doing.

I don't think it's a good idea to go down a route with no support, so I'll stick to the normal kernels. However, I've noticed a "Update Ubuntu 11.10 to 11.10" option in the install. Would that reinstall the OS without losing my data? I really don't want to start again... I'll have to set up all the samba and java configs, and that took me quite a while.

I don't know, it seems like that would work, but what do you think?

Give it a go. Is the mouse working in the live environment? My guess it that it keeps configs and user data, but reinstalls the system.

philmacdonald2
February 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Give it a go. Is the mouse working in the live environment? My guess it that it keeps configs and user data, but reinstalls the system.
Yeah, the mouse works in the live enviroment. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

EDIT: Installing now, will inform to see if it works afterwards.

philmacdonald2
March 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all your help, turns out on the first install I installed with a corrupted ISO file, meaning things weren't installed correctly. I have reinstalled with a new, stable ISO, and everything seems to be running smoothly.

Thank you for all your time and relpies :)

adeii
August 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
modprobe psmouse
Thank you, it worked in my case.
(Power loss at upgrading u11.04 to u11.10)