PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mate replaces what specific Gnome programs that I can uninstall?

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
February 24th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I'm trying to restore the maverick UI to oneiric as much as possible and get all my oneiric-broken scripts (which is to say, ALL of my scripts, apparently the oneiric devs' motto is "whatever is worth breaking is worth breaking thoroughly") working. I've tried the Gnome classic without effects desktop for a while. Maybe it is possible to get it to where I want it but it looks like it will take a lot more work than I really want to give it.

I had hoped that installing mate would solve all the problems, and it has some, but not all. So I'm wondering if there are parts of gnome 3 I might benefit from UN-installing. I went to synaptic naively expecting to see an entry "gnome3" but of course there are a lot of programs that come up when I search gnome. I'm not sure which I should consider getting rid of. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm unclear on what changes were made beside gnome2 to 3. Can some of these changes be reversed without the potential problems of being dependent on a no longer maintained piece of software? For instance how do I determine what window manager is currently in use in my oneiric with mate? And if it has changed from maverick, can I try changing it back and how would I do that?

Putting the question more broadly, are there changes that were made between maverick and oneiric that I could try reversing with synaptic that might fix some of what is obnoxious or just plain broken without being some sort of security risk because of dependency on software that no one is maintaining? And is that bugaboo overblown? It seems a little hard to believe that ANY software is automatically risky just because it isn't being maintained. I would think is some cases it would, at worst, simply someday fail to work. So how can we distinguish between categories of software where using unmaintained products is risky and categories where it is not?

I realize I started with a narrow question and moved to a very broad one, but any thought anyone would care to share on any part of this, I would appreciate.