PDA

View Full Version : Free, open-source forum solutions?

S3V3NTiNiN3
February 23rd, 2012, 11:45 PM
Hello,

I am looking to start a forum of my own for discussing computers and technology-related topics. I would like to be using a free and open-source, PHP/MYSQL system. So far, I have looked at the following options:

- IceBB
- MyBB
- FluxBB
- PunBB
- PhpBB
- AEF

Which of these would you say is the best pick for my needs? I will only be starting a modest community, nothing more. Any further information that is required, I will be happy to provide.

Thank you,

S3V3NTiNiN3

CharlesA
February 23rd, 2012, 11:49 PM
Set up a test box and try out each one. I prefer vbulletin, but if I can't use that, I use phpbb.

doorknob60
February 24th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I've used PhpBB before and it was fairly easy to set up and manage, and worked well, but I'm sure some of the others are good too, but yeah PhpBB is pretty good.

forrestcupp
February 24th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Set up a test box and try out each one. I prefer vbulletin, but if I can't use that, I use phpbb.

vbulletin is great, but it isn't FOSS.

CharlesA
February 24th, 2012, 12:45 AM
vbulletin is great, but it isn't FOSS.
I know. :) I find it easier to deal with than any of the free open source stuff.

Warpnow
February 24th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Beehive forum is a very neat concept.

forrestcupp
February 24th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I know. :) I find it easier to deal with than any of the free open source stuff.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. If I were going to start a forum, that's what I'd probably look into.