PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on Andriod phone

thnewguy
February 23rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
I just saw the demo of Ubuntu running on an Android phone with the optional docking station-to-PC interface. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQozs5tXxwY

It looks fantastic and smooth. I think the idea of having a smart phone which can connect to the PC seamlessly and backup to the One service is an excellent idea. This is the first time I've been excited about smart phone technology in a long time. Anyone know when/if these devices will be available in the wild?

somecoolname
February 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I don't know exactly but it seemed to be implied that it might be as soon as late 2012. I can't wait either. I remember thinking to myself several years ago that the future of technology is a one device solution.

Stovey
February 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I want this.

So how do I get Ubuntu installed on my smart phone? It probably replaces Android - right? Or is it an App of some sort? And does it work on any smart phone, or do I need special hardware that docks as shown?

thnewguy
February 25th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I don't think it replaces Android exactly. As I understand it, Ubuntu's components run on an Android phone running the Android kernel. The Unity desktop and other Ubuntu components appear to be running as processes on top of the Android kernel. I think Unity must be paused most of the time to avoid using resources, or maybe the phone waits until it's docked and then launches Unity.

In other words, I suspect what we are seeing is a layer on top of Android rather than a replacement. Maybe someone from Canonical will explain it for us.

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 01:53 AM
it dosnt replace the android OS

It Is a app
when you click the app it boots ubuntu.
Seen some videos on it.

the only thing is the guys android was rooted
so hopefully this release will come out soon.

im going to boot linux as soon as it hits the web

good post tho :guitar:

sola
April 15th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I also can't wait for this.

This is a big chance for Ubuntu to get new users.

A lot of Android users have never seen Ubuntu or any kind of Linux. If they find Ubuntu For Android useful (they bound to), they will be willing to give standalone Ubuntu a shot on their laptops and/or desktop machines.

Mark Phelps
April 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
..This is a big chance for Ubuntu to get new users...

No, not really it isn't.

Loading Ubuntu onto any phone that didn't come with it preinstalled will first require "rooting" the phone -- which not only completely blows away any warranty on the phone, it also runs the risk of the phone then being useless.

Until phones come with Ubuntu preinstalled, there's not going to be any migration of folks from their current desktop OSs to Ubuntu. In fact, lots of folks migrated AWAY from Ubuntu when Unity came out for the opposite reason -- they didn't want a desktop that looked and worked like a smartphone.

sola
April 17th, 2012, 09:13 AM
@Mark
I definitely agree that the ideal solution would be to get Ubuntu For Android preinstalled on the phone.

Loosing the warranty is a problem, but still, a lot of people root their phones for a variety of reasons.

On the desktops I maintain, I am also leaning towards using Mint instead of vanilla Ubuntu (when the current 10.04 installations need upgrade). However, if Ubuntu is the only way to get a properly working, Android-integrated Desktop Mode on my Android device, I will root the device in a heartbeat and will use Ubuntu on it even if I have to put up with Unity.

Mark Phelps
April 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
... but still, a lot of people root their phones for a variety of reasons...

True ... but they use Cyanogen mods that were built specifically for their make and model phone.

Ubuntu, in stark contrast, is a general-purpose Linux distro -- it's not made for any specific make and model hardware.

Also, if Canonical did make a version for a specific make and model phone, there had better be apps for doing all the stuff that came with the original phone -- making/receiving voice calls, sending/receiving text messages, etc.