PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Problems adding new disk to mdadm raid 5 array

hogfan
February 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
I have been scouring the web for solution to this problem after spending over 4 hours on it last night(or this morning depending on how you look at it). I have a healthy software RAID5 config currently using 3 Western Digital WD20EARS 2 TB drives. The total 4 TB of usable space is now slightly more than halfway full so I am trying to add another 2 TB disk to the array and grow the array. I had a WD20EADS 2 TB disk not being used in my other machine, so I ran all the necessary disks tests on it first and then installed it in my media server that contains the RAID5 array. I then used FDISK to create a new partition on the drive and set it for linux-raid autodetect and wrote the changes.

Now when I try to add the new partition to the array using:

mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sde1

I get a message stating that /dev/sde1 is not large enough to join the array.

On further investigation, it appears that all drives report as 1.83 TB, but the last sector is a higher number on the WD20EARS disks than on the WD20EADS disk.

So my question at this point is:

Is there a way to resize the partitions on the three WD20EARS drives to match (or be slightly lower than) that of the WD20EADS drive without rebuilding the entire array from scratch and losing all data on it?

This has been a very inconvenient, time-consuming, and frustrating issue. Any suggestions to get this drive into the array are much appreciated. I'm at witts end now. I did not think adding an additional 2 TB drive to the array would be this difficult.

-hogfan

hogfan
February 24th, 2012, 06:22 AM
No responses still? Is there a more appropriate place to post this? I know somebody has to have had this problem before with a raid 5 array on ubuntu.

-hogfan

hogfan
February 24th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Here is some additional info:

The HDDS:

user@MEDIASERVER:~$ sudo lshw -C disk
*-cdrom
description: DVD writer
product: DVD_RW ND-3540A
vendor: _NEC
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@6:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom1
logical name: /dev/cdrw1
logical name: /dev/dvd1
logical name: /dev/dvdrw1
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 1.03
serial: [_NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A 1.0305091500
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: ST3250823A
vendor: Seagate
physical id: 0.1.0
bus info: scsi@6:0.1.0
logical name: /dev/sde
version: 3.03
serial: 5ND0HF8V
size: 232GiB (250GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=00091d0a
*-disk:0
product: WDC WD20EARS-00S
vendor: Western Digital
physical id: 0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: 80.0
serial: WD-WCAVY5637086
size: 1863GiB (2TB)
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=cf6986f9
*-disk:1
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sdb
serial: WD-WCAVY5659143
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=5f31d0d7
*-disk:2
physical id: 2
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sdc
serial: WD-WCAVY5637075
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=4b7ff64f
*-disk:3
product: WDC WD20EADS-00S
physical id: 3
bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sdd
version: 01.0
serial: WD-WCAVY1294371
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=000c7c1b

Here is the displayed partition for the new drive from fdisk:

user@MEDIASERVER:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/sdd

WARNING: DOS-compatible mode is deprecated. It's strongly recommended to
switch off the mode (command 'c') and change display units to
sectors (command 'u').

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdd: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
81 heads, 63 sectors/track, 765633 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 5103 * 512 = 2612736 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000c7c1b

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdd1 765634 765634 32 fd Linux raid autodetect

And here is a displayed partiton from one of the drives already in the array (WD20EARS):

user@MEDIASERVER:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/sdc

WARNING: DOS-compatible mode is deprecated. It's strongly recommended to
switch off the mode (command 'c') and change display units to
sectors (command 'u').

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdc: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x4b7ff64f

/dev/sdc1 1 243202 1953514552 fd Linux raid autodetect

So as you can see the WDEARS20 drives already in the array have more blocks than the new WD20EADS drive does, although they are both 2 TB in size. I really do not want to spend $140 on another WD20EARS drive when the drive I have (WD20EADS) is a perfectly good 2 TB HDD. This issue was never mentioned in any of the setup guides I used when I setup my RAID5 with mdadm. So I guess a HDD manufacturer can just pick whatever drive geometry they want to use and make it different for every model drive they make and unless the new drive has more blocks than the old drive you are just SOL at restoring your array. Luckily I am just trying to grow my space and don't have a failed drive in the array, so I am still up and running. I will provide any requested information if somebody with some knowledge of this can assist with resolution or workaround. Thanks for taking the time to read.

-hogfan

MAFoElffen
February 24th, 2012, 07:55 AM
It "is" the same size, even though the head count is different. Did you prep your new drive with a partition? If not, use "blkid" to check the partition size in your other drives, make it the same size as your other drives. That's what I do, partition, format ext4...

I know that you are trying to add your disk to your existing array as a hot spare, extend the size of your array (add your disk into the array), umount the array, extend the filesytem.

Here is a page I use as reference for that:
http://zackreed.me/articles/48-adding-an-extra-disk-to-an-mdadm-array

hogfan
February 24th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I did use fdisk to prep the drive and created the partition /dev/sde1. Then I ran:

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sde1

to format the partition as ext4.

When I try to add the partition to the array I get this:

user@MEDIASERVER:~$ sudo mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sde1
mdadm: /dev/sde1 not large enough to join array

I think the problem may be this:

Here is the partition info for the new disk:

/dev/sde1 1 243201 1953512001 fd Linux raid autodetect

And here is the partition info for an existing drive in the array:

So as you can see, the new drive ends on 243201, but the existing drives in the array end on 243202. If I try to set the END for the new drive to 243202 when creating the partition in fdisk I get an "out of range" error.

-hogfan

darkod
February 24th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Try with cfdisk. It's similar, but more "graphical". I find it easier for quick partition making.

First make the new partition to take the whole disk, don't enter End value manually (I think you can do that with cfdisk). Then see if the End cylinder matches the other disks.

If it doesn't, try with manual value.

MAFoElffen
February 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Try with cfdisk. It's similar, but more "graphical". I find it easier for quick partition making.

First make the new partition to take the whole disk, don't enter End value manually (I think you can do that with cfdisk). Then see if the End cylinder matches the other disks.

If it doesn't, try with manual value.
+1

Here is a quote from Ubuntu's FDISK Man Page:

BUGS

There are several *fdisk programs around. Each has its problems and strengths. Try them in the order cfdisk, fdisk, sfdisk. (Indeed, cfdisk is a beautiful program that has strict requirements on the partition tables it accepts, and produces high quality partition tables. Use it if you can. fdisk is a buggy program that does fuzzy things - usually it happens to produce reasonable results. Its single advantage is that it has some support for BSD disk labels and other non-DOS partition tables. Avoid it if you can. sfdisk is for hackers only -- the user interface is terrible, but it is more correct than fdisk and more powerful than both fdisk and cfdisk. Moreover, it can be used noninteractively.)

These days there also is parted. The cfdisk interface is nicer, but parted does much more: it not only resizes partitions, but also the filesystems that live in them. Me, I used GParted and cfdisk. If I need finer tuned and absolute settings than Gparted, then I use cfdisk. I bounce between the 2. If I use GParted for something that needs something closer, I turn off the option that rounds off to a cylinder.... But, I agree, cfdisk looks like a fit for you with this.

Problem it looks like it there is the same size, but differences in head, cylinders, units. Math-wise it can come out the same... but if not set manually, most disk utilities go by cylinders, which here seems to make a difference.

My curiousity is this:

Device Boot __ Start ____ End ____ Blocks _ Id __ System
/dev/sdd1 ____ 765634 ___ 765634 _ 32 ____ fd __ Linux raid autodetect
??? The start is the same as the end? Shouldn't that start be somewhere between 1-4 with the end being as 765634 or so? Your other drives start at 1....

hogfan
February 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Well it looks like fdisk is what has caused the problem. I wish I would have known about cfdisk when I initially created the array. When I try to display the other disks in the array in cfdisk, I get a fatal error message that says "Primary partition table is not valid. Partition ends in the last partial cylinder of the disk". Maybe they have fixed this problem in fdisk since I created the array and now it won't let me do the same for the new disk. Any suggestions on how I can force the # for the end sector? Maybe in gparted?

-hogfan

darkod
February 24th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Not only that, what about this. The End cylinder is higher than the total???? This could be your issue. If your three disks have the same, how did they ever manage to have a partition that spans a cylinder outside the total number of cylinders???

Disk /dev/sdc: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x4b7ff64f

EDIT: We were writing at the same time. I just noticed the same. You seem in trouble, as far as adding new disks is concerned. Your array works, but the partitions seem to "go outside the disk". Not sure what you can do without deleting the array and the data on it.

hogfan
February 24th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Well I just tried sfdisk as well and tried specifying the disk size to the same as the other drives in the array, and that won't let me do it either, says it exceeds the maximum allowable size. It's looking like I may have rebuild the entire array if I ever want to add anything to it.

-hogfan

darkod
February 24th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Well, it's a lot of work, but now that you know this, before you continue adding more and more data, think about this:
You said the 4TB array is about half way full, which is approx 2TB.
You have a new 2TB disk.

Create a new partition with cfdisk on the new disk, make sure the partition is correct with Start/End cylinders, copy all data it can take. If any data is left over, copy it on a smaller hdd, it wouldn't be much left over.

Destroy your array, and with cfdisk create the partition on your three disks. Make sure the partitions are correct with Start/End cylinders too. Build a new array. Copy data back.
Add new disk to the array.

But that's lots of work man. Anyway, think about it because the more and more data you have, this operation will be more and more difficult.

hogfan
February 24th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all of the help. Had to be an fdisk bug. I don't know how it ever let me set it up that way. I am backing up the data now and will rebuild the array, formatting with cfdisk this time. Better to fix it now before more data is added.

-hogfan

hogfan
February 28th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Ok, I backed everything up and got the array all rebuilt, data copied back over, added the 4th disk and grew the array.

Now I have this problem though:

I was following a couple different guides for setting up the array and made a very easy to do, but problematic mistake.

I formatted all 3 WD20EARS drives starting at sector 2048 since they are advanced format drives.

However, when I built the array initially, I added sdb, sdc, & sdd to the array rather than sdb1, sdc1, sdd1! When I added the fourth disk, I actually added it to the array as sde1, correctly. So now I have a good array with 3 entire disks added and one partition. Normally I don't think is would be bad, but since these are advanced format drives and the partitions on them are set to start at 2048 because of the 4k sector size, I think the first 3 entire disks added to the array will cause raid performance problem.

Sooo......my question is can I do the following.

1.) Fail each of the WD20EARS drives in the array, one at a time, zero the superblock on the "failed" drive, recreate the partition on the drive, starting at 2048 and then replace the "failed" drive with the newly formatted disk, adding it back into the array as (ie. sdb1 rather than sdb)? Obviously, I would do this one disk at a time, allowing the array to rebuild after each of the 3 disks.

Or, will have to back everything up externally again and rebuild the entire array from scratch? This is kind of a problem now because I do not have that 4th 2TB drive available to backup the data on the raid. I do have an off-site backup of the data however, but it would take much longer for me to get that data back over to the array after it is rebuilt. Thanks for any input on this.

-hogfan