PDA

View Full Version : Using Tor

jfreak_
February 23rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Do you guys use it? First time for me today, and although I don't feel much about about privacy, I am sort of feeling safe.

winh8r
February 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
I experimented with it a couple of years ago, and found that the cost to benefit ratio was all wrong for my needs. It tends to slow everything down and can become quite frustrating if an exit node goes offline when you are in the middle of doing something.

I usually say to people that unless you actually NEED it then try to avoid it for everyday use. It is however very useful for those people who need to get information in and out of restrictive / oppressive regimes and cannot use normal connections due to fear of reprisals.

All in all it is good at what it does , and if you need it then use it , but each to their own where Tor/privoxy is concerned.

zeljkojagust
February 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
I have a VPS and I like to track from where the intrusion attempts on my VirtualHosts are comming from. When I'm doing the tracking, I'm using tor (don't tell anyone!).

BeRoot ReBoot
February 23rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Yes, I use it for .onion sites where you can buy...stuff... with bitcoins.

Phoenixie
February 23rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Do you guys use it? First time for me today, and although I don't feel much about about privacy, I am sort of feeling safe.

How do you use it? You should know that while tor provides anonymity, it does not provide privacy! Therefore any unencrypted traffic can be sniffed from the exit node.

BeRoot ReBoot
February 23rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
How do you use it? You should know that while tor provides anonymity, it does not provide privacy! Therefore any unencrypted traffic can be sniffed from the exit node.

Sometimes I run an exit node and monitor traffic just to see what kind of sick stuff people are up to when they think nobody's watching.

chamber
February 23rd, 2012, 11:38 PM
I used to use it but as previous replies have mentioned it is not as secure as people think.

kevdog
February 23rd, 2012, 11:42 PM
Way tooo sloow for my taste.

Paqman
February 23rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
Tor, it's the internet at the speed of 1995!

Probably useful if you're an Iranian blogger trying not to get arrested, but a bit pointless if you're living in an egalitarian democracy.

wolfen69
February 24th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I would have no reason to use it, and it slows things down to crawl.

mmsmc
February 25th, 2012, 01:26 AM
its a good tool, but why use it when you have the a set of your own proxies?

BeRoot ReBoot
February 25th, 2012, 01:36 AM
its a good tool, but why use it when you have the a set of your own proxies?

For the .onion sites, obviously.

Adam Jensen
February 25th, 2012, 02:01 AM
My experience with TOR is was similar to Winh8tr. It was just too slow and too much of a hassle to use.

enjoijesus94
February 25th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I Always Use Tor.

But Before I Do I Change The Mac With Macchanger Within Terminal.

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo macchanger -r wlan0
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

then open tor

one of my methods.

23dornot23d
February 25th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I installed it and used it a couple of times to see what it was - and as said seems good for the people that need it to get around restrictions for free speech in their countries that stop it .....

But is slow ... and of no real use to me .....

I also checked out some of the IP s it was assigning .... and not good reports on google searches .... seems far too many reports showing them that way too.

Not for me ....