PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu wont install by any method

mayavi2011
February 23rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Hi,
I get the impression reading all these posts that I am not alone with this problem.

I have even gone through the exercise of disconnecting all other hard drives and using a virginal, unused HD; but it has made no difference.

I have checked the various downloaded files and burned various versions; none of which has made any difference.

Whatever method of install I use; the installation appears to write the files to the HD but then the install freezes with the message "ready when you are".

Nothing I do can get past this point; If I look at the notifications panel there is no option to boot, reboot or shutdown :confused: the only option shown is suspend. ??
(If I pick the suspend option, evil things happen to my hardware and I have to disconnect power and restart a couple of times to regain access).

If I manually restart the machine I get the black screen of death :( and I have to power cycle 2 or 3 times before I can gain some sort of control and get into the BIOS (which sets the boot options).

To determine whether it was a hardware problem, I have gone through the exercise of idown-loading and installing several other falvours of linux; all these other linux flavours successfully installed and ran.
(Fedora, openSUSE, Debian, etc)

At present I am running openSUSE, but I would prefer to run ubuntu.

Has anyone any specific ideas as to why ubuntu 11.10 wont install??

Thanks

Stusy
February 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Have you checked the disk for defects?

It always fails for me. If I can confirm that it fails for someone else then it would prove thatteh doanload is corrupt.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930162