PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it possible to have Ubuntu auto-run one application & restrict all others?

F1nchy
February 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
I want to build a PC with Ubuntu running on it, but the sole purpose of it is to run VMWare View Client on it.

Ideally I'd like it to boot to a shell only and auto-logon to a standard username and auto-run the VM client in full screen, and lock down all other Ubuntu applications, key commands, etc, so the user only gets the VM login option and can then load up a VM session.

What are the options for doing this in Ubuntu and how do I go about it?

Is is possible to have Ubuntu boot to a shell and load VM from that, so they don't even get the Ubuntu screens?

And how do I lock down all priviledges for that user (a la Windows' group policy)?

I want to be able to set it up to be as low maintenance as possible, so that we can just install the image onto PCs and use them as a VM client without the users getting into the normal Ubuntu and panicking because they've never seen it before!

Many thanks in advance!

jorgerosa
May 21st, 2012, 01:36 PM
auto-run an app in full screen, and lock down all other Ubuntu applications, key commands, etc (...) so they don't even get the Ubuntu screens? (...) And how do I lock down all priviledges for that user (a la Windows' group policy)?
I have similar question too. Can anyone help us here? Thankyou :)

raja.genupula
May 21st, 2012, 04:04 PM
http://askubuntu.com/questions/20989/how-do-i-tell-a-start-up-program-to-start-minimized

thats for minimizing the apps , you can make it from maximizing too at start up .

jorgerosa
May 21st, 2012, 04:07 PM
thats for minimizing the apps , you can make it from maximizing too at start up . THANKYOU! IŽll try as soon as I arrive home! :)

raja.genupula
May 21st, 2012, 04:24 PM
yeah if you got solved then mark the thread as solved from thread tools , else let us know what you got .

F1nchy
June 12th, 2012, 11:52 PM
No, we haven't got it resolved yet. We want to build a few PCs that boot into Ubuntu and auto run vmview. Ideally we're like it to boot as a shell only and not gnome or kde, and run vmview automatically, but we're struggling to find a way.

I'll have a look at that link mentioned above and see what that does.