PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ext4 support in Ubuntu 8.0.4

lennih
February 23rd, 2012, 05:44 AM
Hi, this is my very first post.

A couple of years ago I installed U/8.0.4 in an old PC. It worked really well. I downloaded the updates religiously, and everything worked well until I upgraded to 10.4. That was two years ago, and ever since then I've been having to reboot my computer every few couple of hours because it freezes constantly.

Today I finally decided to format and re-install 8.4, even though some people told me that a clean installation of 10.4 or even a newer version might work well in my pc. I'm not convinced, it's an old computer and there's one more thing - I HATE 10.4 so I simply refuse to use it any longer.

So my problem is that while I was using 10.4 I bought a new hard drive, gave it an ext4 filesystem and put all my data in it. But from my 8.4 installation cd I can't do anything with that partition. I can't resize the partition (which was my original intention) nor can I access data from the live CD.

My question is: Is there any way that after formatting, I will be able to access that partition? Any updates or something?
Or will I have to bacukp those 220 GB (pain in the neck) and format the partition to create an ext3 filesystem?

Sorry if you find my question stupid, but I'm not really good with computers. Thanks for your help!

uRock
February 23rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums,

Have you tried 11,10? If the pc is really old, then lubuntu 11.10 (http://lubuntu.net/) may be the best choice for it.

I am not sure if 8.04.4 will be able to read EXT4

lennih
February 23rd, 2012, 06:01 AM
rrmrmrmrm
Ok, I'll try it.
It's a pentium 4, 2.8GHz, 1MB cache, 512MB ram.
Do you still recommend lubuntu 11.10?
Thanks for your help.

uRock
February 23rd, 2012, 06:25 AM
rrmrmrmrm
Ok, I'll try it.
It's a pentium 4, 2.8GHz, 1MB cache, 512MB ram.
Do you still recommend lubuntu 11.10?
Thanks for your help.

It should be fine with lubuntu. I had a system with almost the same specs that was running ubuntu. Give the LiveCD/USB a try.