PDA

View Full Version : Windows on iPAD

neu5eeCh
February 23rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Is this Microsoft's version of Ubuntu on Android (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/23/technology/personaltech/onlive-desktop-plus-puts-windows-7-on-the-ipad-in-blazing-speed-state-of-the-art.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all)?

I think I would prefer Ubuntu on Android, but still... this is pretty cool (if you live in the right place).

Lucradia
February 23rd, 2012, 07:33 AM
Well, since Windows 98 worked on PSP...

aura7
February 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
There is Ubuntu on Android comming just wait a couple of months

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/250356/ubuntu_for_android_will_bring_the_desktop_to_your_ phone.html

3rdalbum
February 23rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
It seems like Microsoft doesn't have much to do with this at all. They might prefer people to buy a Windows tablet than an iPad.

neu5eeCh
February 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
It seems like Microsoft doesn't have much to do with this at all. They might prefer people to buy a Windows tablet than an iPad.

I was wondering about that too. If the service were to catch on, then it would be like getting Windows and MS Office for free. Who would ever use 'Office 365' if they can get the real deal via this other service?

collisionystm
February 23rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
The PC that’s driving your iPad Windows experience is, in fact, a “farm” of computers at one of three data centers thousands of miles away. Every time you tap the screen, scroll a list or type on the on-screen keyboard, you’re sending signals to those distant computers. The screen image is blasted back to your iPad with astonishingly little lag.

Not the same as ubuntu android but still a neat idea.

Down side is you will get the same performance as a remote desktop connection.

BrokenKingpin
February 23rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
I don't want Windows on my PC or laptop, why the hell would I want it on a tablet?

Dragonbite
February 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
It's just a remote desktop connection to a farm running Windows thin clients.

The PC that’s driving your iPad Windows experience is, in fact, a “farm” of computers at one of three data centers thousands of miles away. Every time you tap the screen, scroll a list or type on the on-screen keyboard, you’re sending signals to those distant computers. The screen image is blasted back to your iPad with astonishingly little lag.

I can have that now with work if I had a tablet and the Citrix connection we use. Maybe it would need a few tweaks to handle the touch-screen better but then again, maybe not if the connection program translates taps to mouse gestures.

grahammechanical
February 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
I think that the GPL would not prevent Linux applications from being used like this but Microsoft's applications must surely be a very different matter.

Microsoft has been wanting for years to move its products to a use over the internet and pay by the minute distribution model. Microsoft must be involved in this. Although there is no mention of Microsoft in this list of investors:

http://desktop.onlive.com/about

Note this:

OnLive’s technology is backed by hundreds of patents and patents pending.

How many of these patients are owned by Microsoft? With all the legal tassels going on over patients and copyright and design, something like this could not happen without the agreement of patient and copyright holders.

Regards.

BeRoot ReBoot
February 23rd, 2012, 03:55 PM
>Windows
>on Jobsian hardware

Double the DO NOT WANT.

doorknob60
February 24th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Would that really work that great? I've set up to use VNC and some other remote desktop programs to connect from iOS and Android devices to my home PC before, and it's always somewhat slow, certainly not at all useful for gaming or videos, and the control is a complete pain without proper input devices. Good for certain uses, but I'd stick with native apps whenever possible.