PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trying and failing to install Sun Java 6, need help please :)

ClutchHunter
February 23rd, 2012, 03:26 AM
This is the error I get when I try installing Sun Java 6 bin + jre via Synaptic Package Manager:

debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
Selecting previously deselected package sun-java6-jre.
(Reading database ... 170379 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking sun-java6-jre (from .../sun-java6-jre_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_all.deb) ...
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_all.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Unpacking sun-java6-bin (from .../sun-java6-bin_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_amd64.deb (--unpack):
Processing triggers for menu ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Setting up man-db (2.6.0.2-2) ...
dpkg: error processing man-db (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
man-db

Help please :)

cortman
February 23rd, 2012, 04:54 AM
This is a very simple problem.
Ubuntu uses the programs apt and dpkg for all package handling (installing, removing, updating, upgrading, etc.). To prevent multiple package management processes from running at once, apt or dpkg opens or "locks" an empty file named (appropriately) "lock", in either /var/lib/apt/lists/ (for apt processes) or /var/lib/dpkg/ (for dpkg processes). If this file is already locked by an apt or dpkg process, no other process of that nature can run.
That's the in-depth explanation. Put shortly, you apparently have another apt or dpkg process running. This could be in the form of Synaptic Package Manager, or the USC, as they both utilize apt. You can either log out and back in, or run

sudo killall *apt* *dpkg*

in a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) which will kill these processes. You should then be able to successfully run your package management program.

zeljkojagust
February 23rd, 2012, 07:59 AM
If all fails, try to do it manual way, here's how to: http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java

ClutchHunter
February 23rd, 2012, 04:07 PM
This is a very simple problem.
Ubuntu uses the programs apt and dpkg for all package handling (installing, removing, updating, upgrading, etc.). To prevent multiple package management processes from running at once, apt or dpkg opens or "locks" an empty file named (appropriately) "lock", in either /var/lib/apt/lists/ (for apt processes) or /var/lib/dpkg/ (for dpkg processes). If this file is already locked by an apt or dpkg process, no other process of that nature can run.
That's the in-depth explanation. Put shortly, you apparently have another apt or dpkg process running. This could be in the form of Synaptic Package Manager, or the USC, as they both utilize apt. You can either log out and back in, or run

sudo killall *apt* *dpkg*

in a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) which will kill these processes. You should then be able to successfully run your package management program.

I ran the command you gave me and I got:

*apt*: no process found
*dpkg*: no process found

I then tried again this command, hoping me restarting the computer after a nights sleep would have helped:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre

I then got the following error(s):

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

cortman
February 23rd, 2012, 04:15 PM
Do you have the update manager running?
Another, slightly more involved way to kill processes is to run

ps -ef | grep apt
ps -ef | grep dpkg

and then run

sudo kill -9 process_id

Substituting the actual four digit process ID (the second column of numbers from the left) for "process_id".

ClutchHunter
February 23rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Do you have the update manager running?
Another, slightly more involved way to kill processes is to run

ps -ef | grep apt
ps -ef | grep dpkg

and then run

sudo kill -9 process_id

Substituting the actual four digit process ID (the second column of numbers from the left) for "process_id".

The responses I got from the two commands at the top, please let me know what to do now :)

root 8876 1 0 01:19 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/share/apt-xapian-index/update-apt-xapian-index-dbus
sam 12109 1 0 02:16 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec
root 12110 12109 0 02:16 ? 00:00:13 /usr/sbin/synaptic
root 12157 12110 0 02:19 ? 00:00:00 [synaptic] <defunct>
sam 18729 18673 0 16:22 pts/2 00:00:00 grep --color=auto apt

root 8409 1 0 01:05 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/share/debconf/frontend /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst install
root 8416 8409 0 01:05 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh -e /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst install
sam 18731 18673 0 16:22 pts/2 00:00:00 grep --color=auto dpkg

cortman
February 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
Run the second command I gave above

sudo kill -9 process_id

The id's may have shifted by now, but for apt it'd be

sudo kill -9 8876 12109 12110 12157

ClutchHunter
February 23rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Run the second command I gave above

sudo kill -9 process_id

The id's may have shifted by now, but for apt it'd be

sudo kill -9 8876 12109 12110 12157

Okay, now I'm getting:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
sun-java6-plugin ia32-sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-sazanami-gothic
ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-arphic-uming
The following NEW packages will be installed
sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/35.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 101 MB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 170379 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking sun-java6-jre (from .../sun-java6-jre_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_all.deb (--unpack):
Unpacking sun-java6-bin (from .../sun-java6-bin_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_amd64.deb (--unpack):
Processing triggers for menu ...
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.26-1~lffl~oneiric~ppa_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

cortman
February 23rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Ok, do the apt and dpkg process kill procedure again, this time also run

ps -ef | grep debconf

and kill any processes that match it. Now run

sudo apt-get purge sun-java6-bin
sudo apt-get purge sun-java6-jre

The official Sun java products have been removed from the repositories, so run

sudo apt-get update

to update the repository list. The openJDK product is virtually identical and should work for you unless you know for certain you need Sun java. You can install it with

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre

ClutchHunter
February 23rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
Ok, do the apt and dpkg process kill procedure again, this time also run

ps -ef | grep debconf

and kill any processes that match it. Now run

sudo apt-get purge sun-java6-bin
sudo apt-get purge sun-java6-jre

The official Sun java products have been removed from the repositories, so run

sudo apt-get update

to update the repository list. The openJDK product is virtually identical and should work for you unless you know for certain you need Sun java. You can install it with

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre

Okay thanks for all the help so far, I've got it to the point that it will try to install sun java(for Minecraft, says it's required, and it didn't work with Open so...).

I'm on a package configuration screen with an agreement and an <Ok> bit of text at the bottom. Problem is I don't know how to proceed and accept... tried hitting enter, down etc. I can scroll but nothing more :/

ClutchHunter
February 23rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
Here:

http://oi44.tinypic.com/xf0sap.jpg

ClutchHunter
February 23rd, 2012, 08:03 PM
Problem sorted!

Thanks for the help :popcorn:

cortman
February 23rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
Well, good- you installed the Sun java then? Did you follow the link given in post #3?
Mark this thread as [SOLVED] using the thread tools in the upper right, if you would. Good luck!