PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] killall5 problem

mebss
February 22nd, 2012, 11:49 PM
Hi all !

I have Kubuntu 11.10 (all updated) and I was using gparted to resize a disk. I couldn't because of programs using the disk so I called killall5 in order to allow gparted to proceed, but this command killed EVERYTHING, including graphic interface.
Even when I reboot, all I get (after the Kubuntu loading screen, with the dots) is a tty prompt to login.
I tried startx but doesn't work.
I first thought I had to reset the runlevel, but this is not the problem.
I definitely don't have the level yet to use linux in command line http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif
This is not the first time it happens; the first time, I just reinstalled Kubuntu, but I don't want to reinstall everything so I ask you for help http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

I tried this : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1725350&highlight=killall5
but the xorg.conf file doesn't exist on my system :s

Thanks in advance ^^

matt_symes
February 24th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Hi

From the man page of killall5

DESCRIPTION
killall5 is the SystemV killall command. It sends a signal to all processes
except kernel threads and the processes in its own session, so it won't
kill the shell that is running the script it was called from. Its primary
(only) use is in the rc scripts found in the /etc/init.d directory.

Don't use it again.

The easiest way may be to back up your data and reinstall. If you do, create a separate root and home partition so if you need to reinstall you can install in the root partition and still have your home partition intact.

A tip for you. Resize a hard drives partitions from a LiveCD/USB. Then you will only have to worry about swap being mounted.

Kind regards

mebss
February 24th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Yes, it was a mistake and I'll learn from it.
I'll wait one or two days more, maybe someone has the solution. If not I will reinstall.
Thank you for your answer and the tip.
Thanks to all readers too.
Have a nice day.

matt_symes
February 24th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Hi

I am not a Kubuntu user so i will stay well away.

Just a thought though, have you posted on the Kubuntu forums ?

Kind regards

mebss
February 24th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Yes, I did. Is the difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu so big? Don't they have the same kernel?
If I find the solution elsewhere, I'll post it here.

oldos2er
February 24th, 2012, 05:38 PM
To run partitioning operations, a given partition needs to be unmounted. If it's your root partition, you need to boot from LiveCD or LiveUSB to accomplish what you need to.

Before reinstalling, try this. It will delete all customizations you might have made to Kubuntu, so fair warning. From within your home folder (where you should be after logging in)
rm -rf .kde/
Then reboot, and let us know what happens.

You can also visit kubuntuforums.net for Kubuntu support.

matt_symes
February 24th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Hi

Yes, I did. Is the difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu so big? Don't they have the same kernel?

Same kernels and similar init scripts but different desktops and applications (although you can use gtk applications in a qt environment if you have the libraries installed).

Try Ann's suggestion. I believe she is a Kubuntu user (you are yes ?).

Kind regards

oldos2er
February 24th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Try Ann's suggestion. I believe she is a Kubuntu user (you are yes ?).

Yep.