PDA

View Full Version : [other] Computer won't start... Motherboard recommendations?

Lexyboy
February 22nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hi All,

Over the past year or so my (~6 year old) computer developed a problem on cold start. Lights and fans come on, but no boot (not even BIOS). Basically the same problem as this chap (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1140243).

Most of the advice I've seen says that it's a PSU problem - but I've already installed a brand new PSU and there's no change whatsoever (except for being quieter, so I don't feel my money's wasted). I've also tried a different power on button as I read that could be a fault.

So that seems to leave me with the likely culprit being the motherboard - unless anyone can come up with another suggestion.

So... does anyone have any suggestions for a motherboard which is:

Well supported for Linux (obviously)
Not too expensive (up to 200 - ~$300 I suppose)
Compatible with my existing HD (SATA so should be OK?)

I really don't know a lot about hardware these days so I'm not sure what else would be required. Would my RAM (DDR2 I think) or graphics card (not sure on that one) be compatible with a new mobo?

Alternatively if a whole new computer would be a better bet then any suggestions appreciated...

roelforg
February 22nd, 2012, 06:33 PM
Hi All,

Over the past year or so my (~6 year old) computer developed a problem on cold start. Lights and fans come on, but no boot (not even BIOS). Basically the same problem as this chap (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1140243).

Most of the advice I've seen says that it's a PSU problem - but I've already installed a brand new PSU and there's no change whatsoever (except for being quieter, so I don't feel my money's wasted). I've also tried a different power on button as I read that could be a fault.

So that seems to leave me with the likely culprit being the motherboard - unless anyone can come up with another suggestion.

So... does anyone have any suggestions for a motherboard which is:

Well supported for Linux (obviously)
Not too expensive (up to 200 - ~$300 I suppose)
Compatible with my existing HD (SATA so should be OK?)

I really don't know a lot about hardware these days so I'm not sure what else would be required. Would my RAM (DDR2 I think) or graphics card (not sure on that one) be compatible with a new mobo?

Alternatively if a whole new computer would be a better bet then any suggestions appreciated...
Try used ones, dirt-cheap and usually just fine.
Most of the times people throw/sell perfectly fine systems because they can't play their favorite games or because they don't like the color or because someone else has a better one.