PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Rotation into portrait mode on system startup

nicks27
February 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
I have a problem with two conflicting lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

In the "Device" section I need the line:

Option "Rotate" "Left"so that my screen is oriented in portrait mode on system startup.

But in the "Screen" section I need the line:

Option "RandRRotation" "True"so I can avoid the error:

Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"However when both the above lines are in my xorg.conf, I get the following error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

[ 18.828] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RandRRotation" "True"
[ 20.024] (WW) NVIDIA(0): RandR rotation is not compatible with the Rotate option.
[ 20.024] (II) NVIDIA(0): The RandR extension is not compatible with the Rotate option.
[ 20.024] (II) NVIDIA(0): Disabling RandR.
[ 20.255] (--) RandR disabledI have to eliminate the Option "Rotate" "Left" line to resolve this, but now my system doesn't boot up in portrait mode.

Is there any way I can resolve this problem so the system boots up in portrait mode and I don't get the errors?

I'm using the NVidia driver version 280.13 driver (nvidia-current, nvidia-current-updates, nvidia-settings, and nvidia-settings-updates packages). and the hardware is an nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7300 GT] (rev a1). It's just a single display setup. I'm running an up-to-date Xubuntu 11.10 with kernel 3.0.0-16-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 27 17:50:54 UTC 2012 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux.

nicks27
March 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I have partially resolved this by creating a new file:

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45custom_xrandr-settings
containing the command:

xrandr -o "left"
The display now automatically rotates into portrait mode but only after I've logged in. It would be preferable to have the login screen displayed in portrait mode too, but where does the xrandr command need to go to achieve this?