PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get the graphics driver to install

HerFlower
February 22nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Ok, I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on a Toshiba Satellite M115-S1061. I've tried every way in the world to install the proprietary driver with no luck. Does anyone know of a proper guide to install it? My video card is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200.

Thanks!

aura7
February 22nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Download from the last link on this page

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.7&product=2.7.5.3.4.3.1&contentType=Tech+Download+Chipset+Motherboard&ostype=&keywords=&items=20

HerFlower
February 22nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Awesome. Thank you. I guess my lack of sleep is getting to me and keeping me from searching properly, lol.

winh8r
February 22nd, 2012, 11:39 AM
You may have problems due to components of the fglrx package being left in the filesystem there is a guide here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver#Problem:__Need_to_f ully_remove_-fglrx_and_reinstall_-ati_from_scratch

which shows how to purge the fglrx from the system and install the other driver.

Hope this is of some help.

HerFlower
February 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hmm... ran into a problem.

Generating package: Ubuntu/lucid
Error: Distro Version entered incorrectly or not supported, use --listpkg to identify valid distro versions
Error: Distro Version entered incorrectly or not supported, use --listpkg to identify valid distro versions
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.9jZhMe

Mark Phelps
February 23rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
The reason you're getting that error is that there are NO proprietary drivers that will work with your video card and Ubuntu versions newer than 8.10.

Had the person who told you to install such drivers bothered to do a little research, they would have discovered this and NOT given you bad advice.

The ONLY drivers that will work with your card and recent Ubuntu versions are the default open-source Radeon drivers -- and those are installed by default during Ubuntu setup.

So, if you are seeing a graphical desktop, those drivers are installed -- and there are no other drivers you can use.