PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] reversing an array C

jon zendatta
February 22nd, 2012, 10:53 AM
Hi
I wish to reverse input. Compiles with EOF marker but gives no output.'\n' compiles & outputs. Problem is the text will be longer than one line.:KS

#include <stdio.h>
#define MAX 500

int main()
{
char phrase[MAX];
int i,c;
printf("enter your phrase?\n");
for(i=0;(c = getchar()) != EOF; ++i)
phrase[i] = c;
for (--i; i >=0; --i)
putchar(phrase[i]);
putchar('\n');

return 0;
}

Tony Flury
February 22nd, 2012, 11:51 AM
when you run the code with the EOF marker - you have to ask yourself what will cause getchar to return EOF ?

On Linux the answer is normally CTRL-D, so try typing your input and then afte the last return - press CTRL-D

jon zendatta
February 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Cheers Tony
CTRL-D returns nothing.Did you try this? Sorry for the lame question.:KS

dwhitney67
February 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
Cheers Tony
CTRL-D returns nothing.Did you try this? Sorry for the lame question.:KS

Try inputting your phrase (which btw is not a question), followed by a newline (return) and a ctrl-d. Or enter ctrl-d twice.

If you input will merely consist of a single line of input, where only one newline will be present, then I would suggest that in lieu of checking for EOF that you check for '\n'.

Tony Flury
February 22nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
I do CTRL-D most days - not on your code though.

When you hit CTRL-D it must be the first character on the line - i.e. hit return and then hit CTRL-D

jon zendatta
February 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Firstly, thanks for the advice. <return> <ctrl-d>(either once or twice),returns nothing.

surfer
February 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
i just compiled and ran it; <return> <crtl-d> as final input. this was the output:

$ ./a.out
enter your phrase?
hello world

dlrow olleh

looking good, i'd say!

jon zendatta
February 22nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
yes that works fine, but not if it exceeds EOF:KS

error I meant end of line.

dwhitney67
February 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
yes that works fine, but not if it exceeds EOF:KS

What do you mean by EOF in the context discussed above?

jon zendatta
February 22nd, 2012, 02:16 PM
what I'm saying is if I use EOF as marker & it exceeds newline, I get no ouput.regardless of <return> <ctrl-d>

Arndt
February 22nd, 2012, 02:28 PM
what I'm saying is if I use EOF as marker & it exceeds newline, I get no ouput.regardless of <return> <ctrl-d>

It works for me:

$ gcc -o rrev rrev.c
$ ./rrev
enter your phrase?
ippli bippli
voffel vaffel

leffav leffov
ilppib ilppi

Now, you can have EOF assigned to other keys than Ctrl-D. What does the command "stty -a" show? Somewhere in the middle of the output, you will find the setting for eof.

This talk about EOF and Ctrl-D assumes you are running in a normal terminal emulator. Maybe you are inside some kind of integrated development environment instead?

jon zendatta
February 22nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
cool Arndt, I hope I grasp it now. Should be straight forward

trent.josephsen
February 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Try inputting your phrase (which btw is not a question), followed by a newline (return) and a ctrl-d. Or enter ctrl-d twice.

And here I was thinking that ending input without a terminating newline was impossible. How did I never know about this before?