PDA

View Full Version : [other] high CPU load with new installed Ubuntu

hsiehlc
February 22nd, 2012, 02:14 AM
Just installed Ubuntu to my old PC with Intel Celeron 2.5G, and Ubuntu runs, the CPU loading is constantly at 100%. It makes everything so slow.
I wonder if this happens to other people? and any solution can be suggested. Appreciated any responses.
oh, forgot to mention I already set it to run Ubuntu classic (no effects) mode. That helps but not enough.

Richard

efflandt
February 22nd, 2012, 03:01 AM
How much RAM does it have and do you have a video card, or integrated video sharing system RAM. If you do not have enough RAM it can bog down swapping memory to disk.

The free command in a terminal shows memory and swap use.

hsiehlc
February 22nd, 2012, 06:53 AM
How much RAM does it have and do you have a video card, or integrated video sharing system RAM. If you do not have enough RAM it can bog down swapping memory to disk.

The free command in a terminal shows memory and swap use.
I have 2G RAM (1G x 2) installed, and from the system monitor I think swapping is fine...
And I don't think I have a video card so I will check on that with my friend for opinion. Thanks for replying!

hsiehlc
February 23rd, 2012, 02:40 AM
Added a video card and it helps a little bit. CPU load drops down to 20~40% from 100% after approx. 10 seconds when open a Firefox window, and raises to 100% again whenever I start another application, and drops down again...
Does this mean I have to get another powerful CPU? Or any video card setting I missed?