PDA

View Full Version : Apple moving away from in-house JAVA and X11

Lucradia
February 22nd, 2012, 12:48 AM
See article: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57381996-263/apple-to-drop-in-house-x11-support-and-more-in-mountain-lion

Dragonbite
February 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
With the release of OS X 10.5 Apple shelved the Classic emulation environment, and in OS X 10.7 Apple removed Java from being included in the OS, though makes it available as an on-demand download should a user need it. Additionally, Apple announced it will be stopping its own in-house Java runtime and rely on Oracle or other third parties to provide a compatible runtime for use on OS X (similar to how Java is done on other platforms).

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57381996-263/apple-to-drop-in-house-x11-support-and-more-in-mountain-lion/#ixzz1n7mZp0rS

It just makes sense. Java, like Flash, are heavy platforms whose biggest benefit has been (true) cross-platform compatibility. But these platforms are controlled by a single entity. If Oracle (Java), Adobe (Flash) or Microsoft (.NET) wanted to make a change who's to stop them?

Also, why spend your own resources duplicating what can be pushed back onto Oracle, especially since it is not as widely-used as other technologies?

HTML5 (and JS/AJAX/CSS) is cross platform and getting good enough to do some of what people use these platforms for.

It doesn't mean it isn't available, because totally cutting off Java would hinder Enterprises which do need the power of Java/.NET. It just isn't included by default and most consumers won't notice it missing.

doorknob60
February 23rd, 2012, 02:00 AM
Makes sense, I never understood why the Java was handled separately from Oracle/Sun, it always seemed to cause problems, based on some of the issues I've seen in Runescape (a java game) forums over the years. And with X11, it's not commonly used, and isn't required for anything made by Apple, so there's no reason Apple needs to develop their own version of that either, iit's not like X11 support goes away or anything, just developed by XQuartz, makes sense to me.