PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Tomboy

lads
February 21st, 2012, 10:16 PM
Hello everyone,

So it seems Tomboy is one of the applications to be left out of the next release. Since this is one of the programs I use the most and the arguments against its inclusion with Ubuntu seemed very reasonable I went out searching for an alternative. I found out Gnote, a Tomboy clone, but it is a few years behind in development. In particular it lacks mechanisms to sync my notes with Ubuntu One.

So the question is: what alternatives are out there to access my notes stored at Ubuntu One?

Best.

koleoptero
February 21st, 2012, 10:17 PM
Tomboy won't be preinstalled but you'll be able to install it from the software center.

Docaltmed
February 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
What he said.

There's no reason to stop using it just because it doesn't come preinstalled. It'll probably take you less than 2 minutes to install.

The reasons for not including it were a little hapless, if you ask me.

I love Mono. There. I said it.

lads
February 21st, 2012, 10:51 PM
Ok folks I know I can install it back, but I'm really trying to find alternatives. So far Tomboy is the only program I know of that is capable of synchronizing with Ubuntu One, there must be certainly others capable of doing so, otherwise it wouldn't have been taken out of the distro.

alphacrucis2
February 21st, 2012, 10:57 PM
Gnote (http://live.gnome.org/Gnote) is another option. I use Zim (http://zim-wiki.org/)

Edit: As far as Ubuntu one sync. Surely you just set Ubuntu One to sync whatever the folder is that the app stores the messages in. Should be trivial with any program.

castrojo
February 21st, 2012, 11:02 PM
Otherwise it wouldn't have been taken out of the distro.

Tomboy wasn't removed from Ubuntu just from the default CD.

koleoptero
February 22nd, 2012, 01:06 AM
Ok folks I know I can install it back, but I'm really trying to find alternatives. So far Tomboy is the only program I know of that is capable of synchronizing with Ubuntu One, there must be certainly others capable of doing so, otherwise it wouldn't have been taken out of the distro.

You can setup gnote to sync with ubuntuone by simply doing a local sync in the ubuntuone folder. Same for zim, just make the notes folder inside the ubuntuone folder. Same for basket. Pretty much any note-taking program.

Jesus_Valdez
February 22nd, 2012, 01:33 AM
I think that the Ubuntu one - Tomboy sync is going to be eliminated.

MadCow108
February 22nd, 2012, 01:35 AM
I think that the Ubuntu one - Tomboy sync is going to be eliminated.

why should it?
as long as ubuntu one exists as a file sync service there is no reason for it to disappear.

lads
February 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
You can setup gnote to sync with ubuntuone by simply doing a local sync in the ubuntuone folder.

Ok, several folk already suggested this, but once again it is not what I am talking about. I'm referring to the Ubuntu One Notes repository (https://one.ubuntu.com/notes/), not the files repository. I do not wish to create a parallel repository, I want to keep using Ubuntu One Notes as the central database, my apologies if this hasn't been made clear before.

Basically I'm looking for a program that can access and manage the data stored at https://one.ubuntu.com/notes/.

Thank you.

koleoptero
February 22nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
To clear some misconceptions: What is being removed from ubuntuone is exactly the ability to access the tomboy notes online. Not the sync.

If that's what you're saying then you're out of luck since it doesn't depend on the program you're using.

You can try to port your notes to Evernote using some app like nevernote or whatever else you may find. I don't know of any other solution to notetaking that can be accessed from anywhere.

lads
February 22nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
To clear some misconceptions: What is being removed from ubuntuone is exactly the ability to access the tomboy notes online.

That's unfortunate, but now it makes sense. What will happen to Ubuntu One Notes then? I've a lot of important stuff stored there.

Jesus_Valdez
February 22nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
We want to let you know that on Tuesday, February 28th we will be removing Notes from the Ubuntu One web interface. The reason for this is that the U1 Notes web interface hasn’t really been working as well as we want it to. We have looked at the improvements required and the resources needed to raise the overall quality of the notes web interface. However, with everything that we have to work on in 2012, plus continuing to improve our core services, we just won’t be able to give it the attention it needs.

For those of you syncing notes with Ubuntu One, this means you’ll continue to sync them via Tomboy just as you do today. The only difference is that you won’t be able to access these notes via the Ubuntu One web site after February 27th. If you have any more questions around U1 Notes please contact us.

Meanwhile, we’re continuing to build a new higher quality data sync service that will benefit notes as well as other types of data. This service will provide a solid foundation for our own data sync services as well as those of app developers. We’ll continue to post updates about that exciting development as we have more news.

Apparently I missread the blog title

http://voices.canonical.com/ubuntuone/?p=1401

chickenPie4breakfast
February 26th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I tried Tomboy - it came with Mint. I didn't like the way it stayed running (looked in system monitor) when I had quit it. I tried Gnote but it didn't seem to have an export options. I tried Zim - I'm happy - good export options.

markMDW
March 15th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Tomboy Synchronization is now broken on one of my two machines that use it regularly.

It's been synchronizing perfectly till about a week ago. The other machine apparently still synchronizes (not 100% positive since I can't verify the updated notes with this machine)

my synchronization settings are:

Service: [Tomboy Web]
Server: [https://one.ubuntu.com/notes/]

The preferences dialog says that the server is not responding. Try again later.

I'm guessing the server URL has changed. Does anyone know what gets plugged in? Thanks for your time!

arnab_das
March 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM
i would love to see a tomboy app for android actually. there is most definitely a need of one. that should probably work better than ubuntu one sync.

ykkhern
June 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM
i would love to see a tomboy app for android actually. there is most definitely a need of one. that should probably work better than ubuntu one sync.

I've been using Tomdroid, a Tomboy app for Android, for a long time. You can sync with Ubuntu One; however, all notes are read-only as Tomdroid is not supporting notes editing at the moment. Just search for Tomdroid in Play Store.

Primefalcon
June 19th, 2012, 05:11 PM
,no big deal, I'll be adding it to my sudo apt-get install script that I run right after any desktop installation....