PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 10.04, where's the links?

rreyes3713
February 21st, 2012, 09:06 PM
I have 10.04 on an older laptop. So I get on line and Manger Update[?] pops up. So I select upgrade. Then I get a message like : "Cannot Find Links"

What happened? Did Ubuntu change server or something? Maybe this was discuss before so I'm a little late to the party.

... or maybe something with the service I'm using[?]

darkod
February 21st, 2012, 09:42 PM
Regardless of the error, do you plan to upgrade version by version since 10.04? Many issues can come up during three consecutive upgrades.

First make sure you have done all the UPDATES (not UPGRADE).

Then, you can try the upgrade again but I would recommend to wait little bit longer when the new 12.04 LTS comes out in late April. Since 10.04 is also LTS, you can select in the update options to offer only LTS upgrades and can upgrade to 12.04 LTS directly.

ajgreeny
February 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM
You should still be able to upgrade your distro version to 10.10, and in a couple of months to 12.04, but I would suggest that the huge changes between 10.04 and 12.04 make it better to perform a clean install when 12.04 is out in its final form.

If you are not getting the option to upgrade to 10.10, go to System >Administration >Software Sources and in the updates tab check how your updates are setup. See screenshot. Choose "Normal releases" to upgrade to 10.10.

rreyes3713
February 29th, 2012, 10:48 PM
To troubleshoot the problem, I unchecked the boxes that had "failed" links. And then press "Updates". Then everything ran fine.

[ before Update Manager ] What was peculiar, I was not able to add new applications (Ubuntu Software Center). I would be getting a "connection problem" pop-up when my Internet connection was fine.

But after the "Update Manager", I was then able add applications.

Thanks.