PDA

View Full Version : Apple orphans Linux CUPS features

ratcheer
February 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
http://www.unixmen.com/201202-apple-orphans-linux-cups-features-handicaps-open-source-printing/

CUPS, is the printing standard that open source projects have used successfully to convert desktops and computers to become printer servers, allowing plug-in, modular type of printing. However, now Apple after it acquired it from its developer Michael Sweet, at Easy Software Products, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Sweet_%28programmer%29)in 2007, has chosen to abandon certain Linux exclusive features, and continuing with popular Mac OS X features.Tim

prygme
March 2nd, 2012, 04:27 AM
It seems we'd fork the CUPS in the near future.

MisterGaribaldi
March 2nd, 2012, 05:14 AM
Could have sworn I'd heard people complaining back when Apple acquired CUPS. Now that they've decided to take from it what they consider the best bits, and add to it their own ideas and technologies, Apple is abandoning CUPS.

Which is it?

grahammechanical
March 2nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Well, they would wouldn't they?

But what is meant by this comment?

Apple’s ambitious Internet Printing Protocol-Everywhere

Is this protocol owned by Apple? Or will it be an open standard?

Regards.

Grenage
March 2nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
The 'no driver' goal seems like the way to go; a very good way to go.

I'm curious, I assume that as the CUPS project is GPL OS, surely future derivatives are also OS?

Morbius1
March 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
The 'no driver' goal seems like the way to go; a very good way to go.It all depends on how it all works out. For a preview of a worse case scenario you can use cups in OSX today. I have an HP printer attached to my Linux box that OSX accesses through ipp. CUPS on OSX doesn't have a driver for this dated printer even though HP provides one to CUPS ( and one that I can use in my Linux install ) so I'm forced to use the "generic postscript driver". It does print, it even does duplex, but it doesn't have all the options available that the HP driver contains.

Maybe this is a stepping stone to Apple selling it's own line of iPrinters that will cost $459 instead of the $159 for the same printer available to Windows and Linux users. It will be white though and it will speak and be able to understand human speech.

"Printer, print test.txt"
"I'm sorry, dave, but I can't allow you to print that file"

Grenage
March 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Lol, indeed; most likely the case.

grahammechanical
March 2nd, 2012, 05:58 PM
@moribius1

Funny, very funny!