PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu for Acer Revo R3700

F1nchy
February 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
Hi all

I need to install Ubuntu on an Acer Revo R3700. Will the 64 bit version work on it or should I use the 32 bit?

I think I'll need version 10.04 or 10.10, so won't be able to use the latest version.

Also, can anyone point me to all the required drivers for the R3700 and how to install them?

Many thanks!

kc1di
February 21st, 2012, 01:56 PM
Hi all

I need to install Ubuntu on an Acer Revo R3700. Will the 64 bit version work on it or should I use the 32 bit?

I think I'll need version 10.04 or 10.10, so won't be able to use the latest version.

Also, can anyone point me to all the required drivers for the R3700 and how to install them?

Many thanks!

Hi Flnchy,
Welcome to ubuntu

think you should be able to use either 32 or 64 bit. on that machine. and you should be able to use 11.10 also.
all the drivers will be installed during installation you may have to install extra drivers for wireless or video but they should be installable from the additional drivers tool in the system menu.

Best way to find out is download and run the live cd or install it to a usb stick and run it from there.

F1nchy
February 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM
That's great, thank you.

What about the Nvidia video drivers? Will they auto-install?

We've got a couple of them coming in and we want to use them as VM View clients. I think the Ubuntu VM client only supports 10.04 or 10.10 so we'll have to make do with one of those versions, although we're hoping to get it booting straight into VM View so as long as all the drivers are working that should be fine.

kc1di
February 23rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
you will have to install the nvidia drivers after you install ubuntu. But it's quite easy to do so using the additional driver tool.

They should work with the supplied open source drivers but you will not have 3d available with that driver.
Good luck,
Let us know how it goes.

NoromantheUnwise
March 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
Hi,

Apologies for the treadjack but I've just bought one of these and done exactly the above (installed 11.10 from USB stick; did keep Linpus installed alongside (for teh time being) ); everything working fine until auto installing the Nvidia ION drivers. Got about halfway throught the installation and it hung. Reset and now won't boot into Unbuntu; getting a systemfile error and it's saying it can't mount.

Apologies if this needs to go into a new thread; I'm relatively new to Linux and just found this thread while looking for a solution.