PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Power Saving Mode Not Activating

SamBam77
February 20th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I just got a new HP dv6 laptop and put Xubuntu 11.10 on it. Although I have set up my power saving mode preferences (like screen brightness, etc...), I have noticed that when I am actually on battery power they do not seem to be applied. Also, the estimated battery life is only about 1.5 hours, well below what I would expect if power saving mode was working correctly (as I can get much longer battery lives when booting into Windows).

What can I do to get Power Saving Mode to automatically activate when on battery power, or at least force it to activate?

The laptop does recognize that it is on battery power versus AC power since the little battery icon appears in the tool bar and shows me the estimated battery life left.

SamBam77
February 21st, 2012, 09:07 PM
Anyone have any suggestions?

I have also found that I am unable to control the brightness of the screen manually. Pushing the brighter / dimmer buttons on the keyboard has no effect, and telling it to dim the screen in the power management configuration window does not seem to do anything.

LewisTM
February 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
I suggest you install the Jupiter applet (http://www.jupiterapplet.org/index.html). This will manage your power more efficiently when on battery. It might not solve everything but it's a start.

Cheers!