PDA

View Full Version : Your Top RPG list would be?

infestor
February 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
i am guessing most of you are fond of crpg (computer based rpg) genre. i couldn't play an extensive array of crpgs but from the ones i could play and finish:
(awesomeness in descending order)

planescape: torment | nothing comes near to this rpg. this is almost not a game. you live it within the story and long dialogues. quite short gameplay duration though.
fallout | fantastic atmosphere.
fallout 2
baldur's gate 2

i also finished fallout new vegas but it is just mediocre.

Nyromith
February 20th, 2012, 11:26 AM
1. World of Warcraft
2. Fallout 3
3. Morrowind

gutterslob
February 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Consoles are considered computers too, right?
If you mean PC/Windows-based, then only 2 and 4 from below apply.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Planescape: Torment
3. The Dark Spire
4. Ultima Underworld I & II
5. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

sffvba[e0rt
February 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM
There are so many... and so diverse types (and I am sure some purists that may point out which are "real RPG's" and which aren't :p)

I really enjoyed The Witcher (struggling through the second one so not finding it as memorable as the first)
Sacred, Diablo II (even if they are more hack'en slash)

But there have been so many over the years...

Grenage
February 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Christ yes, how to pick a few? Everquest was probably the one which ate my life, but I've rather enjoyed Diablo I/II, Neverwinter nights 2, WoW, Titan Quest...

WinterMadness
February 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM
1. Mass Effect Series
2. Tales Of Vesperia
3. Final Fantasy TA

the rest suck

del_diablo
February 20th, 2012, 09:29 PM
1. Fallout
2. Kotor 2: Sith Lords
And then lower good list starts :P

Gremlinzzz
February 20th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Zelda all of em:popcorn:

WinterMadness
February 21st, 2012, 01:43 AM
Zelda all of em:popcorn:

dunno if i would consider zelda to really be an rpg. i consider it an adventure game

Gremlinzzz
February 21st, 2012, 02:08 AM
OK then Kings Quest
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/
:popcorn:

drawkcab
February 21st, 2012, 03:11 AM
ChronoTrigger and Earthbound were my favorites on SNES.

infestor
February 21st, 2012, 04:10 AM
Consoles are considered computers too, right?

sure, they are.

There are so many... and so diverse types (and I am sure some purists that may point out which are "real RPG's" and which aren't :p)

I really enjoyed The Witcher (struggling through the second one so not finding it as memorable as the first)
Sacred, Diablo II (even if they are more hack'en slash)

yup, hack'n'slash doesn't count really. i'm also fan of diablo series but it's just the joy of cutting monsters and collecting items.

Jezzze
February 21st, 2012, 10:56 AM
- The Witcher (I & II)
- Mass Effect (I, II, can't wait on III :P)
- Mount&Blade: Warband (for what it supposed to be an RPG)

Lucradia
February 21st, 2012, 06:51 PM
I don't have many Computer Based RPGs I'm fond of so far. If I want to play Mass Effect, I'll have to play it from the first one, I don't like skipping story, and I want to wait until ME3 comes to steam anyway.

Computer RPGs:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Grandia II
Kingdoms of Amalur
Fable III

Lots of console RPGs though...

Console RPGs:

Wild ARMs Series (Not XF)
Tales Series (Mothership Only)
Final Fantasy Series up to 12 (Not 11, I don't count online versions, and not ###-2 versions.)
MegaMan Battle Network (up to the 2nd game.)
Breath of Fire III and IV
Radiata Stories
Star Ocean Series (Especially 2nd Story / Second Evolution)
Xenosaga Series
Xenogears
Thousand Arms
Paper Mario Series (Only up to GameCube)
Golden Sun Series (Up to Lost Age)
.hack Series
Dark Cloud 2
Grandia Series (Hated Xtreme)
Mana Khemia
Valkyrie Profile Series (Mothership Only)
Eternal Sonata

I don't count Alpha protocol and Borderlands as RPGs, thus, I can't count MegaMan Legends as an RPG (Even though I've played MML.) I absolutely hated The Witcher, so I didn't bother with even buying the second.

GraeW
February 21st, 2012, 07:32 PM
the first computer RPG I really fell into hard was probably Diablo, and Evercrack got me into the online multiplayer gaming. I sometimes miss those games.. had Neverwinter Nights but never got it onto linux - wish I could find it now, or NWN 2 so I could install and play around in other worlds again.

The last game I was charging through was Dragon Age: Origins. I picked up a copy of DA:2 but can't play it til I get a new computer (it requires a multi-core system and my older AMD-64 doesn't cut it).

I would love to see these games able to work on Linux, or have comparable games made available. Even if the Unity engine that Battlestar Galactica Online uses were to be ported to linux that would be a plus.

Pogeymanz
February 22nd, 2012, 12:38 AM
1.[...]
3. Final Fantasy TA
[...]

Is that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? If so, how in the world did you find it better than FF Tactics?

My list is probably:
1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Final Fantasy 6
4. Secret of Mana 2 (I think it's 3 in Japan- the one where you choose 3 of 6 characters each play-through and the English names of the characters are Duran, Kevin, Angela, Carlie, something and something...)
5. FF 5

Holy crap, I'm a final fantasy nerd.

infestor
March 16th, 2012, 04:01 AM
if you still haven't heard, brian fargo started a kickstarter project for a wasteland sequel: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2 which will come with native linux version *woot woot*

BrokenKingpin
March 16th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Morrowind
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Diablo 2
FF7
FF8
FF9

You might be thinking I left Oblivion off my list, but I didn't... I just did not like that game and was a huge step back from Morrowind.

Out of the three Final Fantasy games I listed I think FF7 holds up best today, and well worth playing if you never have. The other two are worth playing as well, but the graphics style does not hold up as well.

I played a lot more RPGs in my day, but these are the ones that stand out.

squilookle
March 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Fallout: New Vegas
Skyrim
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VII
Dragon Quest IX

Obviously, the first two are ones I've played recently and enjoyed. I lost an especially large amount of time to New Vegas.

I have played quite a few of the Final Fantasy series, but 7 and 8 were the first ones I really got into, and the ones I have the fondest memories of.

Everything about Dragon Quest 9 was genius. Just a shame it was on the DS. I use my DS when I am travelling but find it quite uncomfortable to play on, so it never gets used when I am at home.

MisterGaribaldi
March 16th, 2012, 05:14 PM
D&d (1.0)
ad&d (2.0)

JDShu
March 16th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Breath Of Fire 2 will always have a special place in my heart.

era86
March 17th, 2012, 05:09 AM
ChronoTrigger and Earthbound were my favorites on SNES.

Wow... was gonna post both of these.:guitar:

arnab_das
March 17th, 2012, 06:32 AM
1. Elder scrolls
2. Elder scrolls
3. Elder scrolls

none come close when depth of gameplay is taken into consideration. i found the witcher to be extremely overrated and i got bored with mass effect 1 pretty soon.