PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to stop windows spilling over onto/from other desktops?

michaell4
February 20th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Hi,

I'm frequently frustrated by windows spilling over onto other desktops and being unable to move them into view as the title bar is hidden out of view.
On the odd occasion, windows seem to disappear onto other desktops. I'm probably at fault here, but I don't intentionally move the windows.

Is there a way of stopping windows overflowing onto other desktops by confining them?

I know you can set windows to appear on the active desktop, but I don't want every window I have open to appear all the time. I'd like to have windows appear only on the desktop they were created unless I intentionally move them. I'd like to be able to move between desktops knowing what windows are where and to not have the bottom/top/sides of windows overflowing from other desktops.

Cheers.

Michael

gordintoronto
February 20th, 2012, 04:07 PM
You can move a window without seeing the title bar. Press Alt, click anywhere in the window, and move it to where you want it.

However, I don't think that fixes your real problem. What video adapter is in your computer? What version of Ubuntu do you use, and what video driver is installed?

michaell4
March 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hi

It's not that I'm having trouble moving windows around, I can do that easily enough, it's just that it seems like the windows are changing desktops by themselves.

I've got an nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Driver: 280.13) and Ubuntu 11.10.

Cheers