PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installed, displays background screen, but nothing else

DrumRocker
February 20th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron M5030 laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I am new to Linux/Ubuntu, having seen it on a friend's computer and asking him about it, and wanting to try it out. I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from the Ubuntu website, using the "Windows Installer" on Ubuntu.com. After installation, I re-started the computer as the installation box told me to, and selected Ubuntu in the Boot Menu. The Ubuntu background screen loaded, and asked me for my password, which I entered. After I entered it, instead of loading the bars at the top, and the app buttons on the side, it just gave me a blank background screen (the "desktop," or whatever it's called), with no buttons, menus, bars at the top, or anything. I moused over the areas, to see if the buttons and bars were just "hiding," but nothing. I waited for 10 mins, moused over again, and nothing was loaded.

DrumRocker
February 24th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Can somebody help me figure out what's gone wrong and how to fix it? I've tried it again, and again, and again, but it still does the same thing: It loads the dash, but after I login, the dash disappears, and there is nothing but the desktop background on my screen, no dash, no sidebar, I mouse all around the screen and nothing appears anywhere.

garrettsbarry
February 24th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately I am having the exact same problem.

Installed using Wubi, successful. Restarted and exactly what you described is happening. Log in then just a background, nothing else.

bogan
February 25th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Hi!, DrumRocker & garrettsbarry,

After login try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 0r F2.

Hopefully that should give you a tty text terminal login and may show you where the hang-up is.

Ctrl+Alt+F7 will return you to the GUI screen.

Alternatively select boot to Linux Recovery Mode in the grub menu, and choose Terminal boot.

Please post your Video card make & model.

Chao!, bogan.