PDA

View Full Version : Classic gnome is back in 12.04

wolfen69
February 20th, 2012, 05:37 AM
For all of those that loved gnome 2, classic gnome will be available in 12.04 by

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
It is not just a watered down version of gnome 2, but is pretty much an exact clone of gnome 2, (using it right now) and will be available in regular, and 2D mode. I have attached a screenshot.

Before, there was Applications, Places, and System menus. Now there are only 2, Applications and Places, with System integrated into the Applications menu. And to add applets (Add to Panel) to the bottom panel, you need to do: Super key-Alt-right click. You can also drag menu items onto the panel for shortcuts.

So next time someone complains about unity, tell them to wait for 12.04 to get classic gnome back. Plus, people will not need to run old versions of ubuntu to have a gnome 2 like experience. Happy now? :rolleyes:

Bucky Ball
February 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Great news for many, I'm sure, so thanks. I use Xfce anyhow so not affected but just to say that System is integrated into the admin menu in Xfce also. Sounds pretty similar so perhaps either or??? Perhaps Xfce another option if folk couldn't be bothered waiting. ;)

kevdog
February 20th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Good news, however I really never complained about the lack of gnome2 on 11.10 anyway.

kaldor
February 20th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Minor thing, but I'd really like to see the Ubuntu icon next to the Applications menu again.

wolfen69
February 20th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Good news, however I really never complained about the lack of gnome2 on 11.10 anyway.
It doesn't affect me either, as I like unity, but it may help others to finally be able to sleep at night. ;)

angry_johnnie
February 20th, 2012, 06:21 AM
fantastic!

i never complained about unity, but i truly dislike it. i'm getting used to xfce by now, but it's good to have classic gnome back. :)

craig10x
February 20th, 2012, 08:02 AM
It doesn't affect me either, as I like unity, but it may help others to finally be able to sleep at night. ;)

too funny :D ;)

yeah...i like unity too...but i am sure some will welcome that...nice to have as an option for those who desire it...

LowSky
February 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Looks like a skinned version on Gnome 3's fallback mode.

Muddypaws
February 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Love Unity myself ^^ Seeing as there has been a couple of semi failed attempts at keeping up gnome 2 already, who's maintaining this attempt? Canonical? Gnome? Someone else? :)

ubuntu27
February 20th, 2012, 08:26 AM
In another related news:

`Window Applets`, Finally Available For GNOME 3 (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/window-applets-finally-available-for.html)(Classic / Fallback)

BeRoot ReBoot
February 20th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Does it support the old panel applets, though, or is it just indicators with a re-skin?

neu5eeCh
February 20th, 2012, 01:38 PM
The 800 pound gorilla, though, is whether Gnome Classic/Fallback will continue to be developed and maintained as an alternative to Gnome Shell. Innovations like the Window Applets are great, but I wonder if such innovations will continue if there's no future in the DE. If I thought it had a future, I might be more apt to consider it; but my understanding is that Gnome sees it as a cockroach they'd prefer to squash - am I wrong?

forrestcupp
February 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM
It looks exactly like Gnome Classic that's available in 11.10. It's not really Gnome 2; it's Gnome 3 that's skinned to look like Gnome 2. When I installed Gnome Shell in 11.10, Gnome Classic became one of my choices. You get Gnome Classic (no effects), too.

So you don't have to wait for 12.04 to get this.

kurt18947
February 20th, 2012, 02:25 PM
The 800 pound gorilla, though, is whether Gnome Classic/Fallback will continue to be developed and maintained as an alternative to Gnome Shell. Innovations like the Window Applets are great, but I wonder if such innovations will continue if there's no future in the DE. If I thought it had a future, I might be more apt to consider it; but my understanding is that Gnome sees it as a cockroach they'd prefer to squash - am I wrong?

My understanding of fallback is similar. I believe its existence beyond 12.04 is uncertain if gnome can be made to work on weaker graphics hardware. If fallback is widely used perhaps Gnome will rethink its fate -- or perhaps not. 12.04 and some extensions from extensions.gnome.org make gnome quite usable to me. Gnome (shell) and associated extensions work in other distros as well so presumably it will be developed for a while.

14quartz
February 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Great News. Thanks for sharing.

TheFu
February 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
My main issue was the requirement for 2D and 3D graphics acceleration. Many people deploy Ubuntu inside virtual machines for productivity needs. The fallback to non-accelerated virtual graphics was less than ideal in prior releases in my experience.

OTOH, most Ubuntu users want to use everything their $200 GPU has to offer. My 5 yr old $40 GPU is no match.

wolfen69
February 20th, 2012, 04:08 PM
The 800 pound gorilla, though, is whether Gnome Classic/Fallback will continue to be developed and maintained as an alternative to Gnome Shell.
Well since 12.04 is going to be supported for 5 years, gnome fallback will be around that long too.

Linuxratty
February 20th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Can I stick stuff on the panels? Can I have my virtual desktops? Can I have my min/max buttons and scroll bars?
Can I have 13 windows open in the Gimp in a nice neat stack on the title bar?

Someone listened! They listened!Excuse me,I've got something in my eye.

HansKisaragi
February 20th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Cool, but im never switching from Cinnamon <3

wolfen69
February 20th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Does it support the old panel applets, though, or is it just indicators with a re-skin?
Yes it does. When you Super+Alt+right click, you will see Add to Panel with all the usual applets.

It looks exactly like Gnome Classic that's available in 11.10. It's not really Gnome 2; it's Gnome 3 that's skinned to look like Gnome 2.
I never said it was gnome 2, but it's as close as you are going to get, and should satisfy those yearning for a gnome 2-like experience.

wolfen69
February 20th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Can I stick stuff on the panels? Can I have my virtual desktops? Can I have my min/max buttons and scroll bars?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

coolbrook
February 20th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I love GNOME3 and its new alternatives, but it's toasty on my laptop. I'm running Lubuntu and G2 on Lucid and Squeeze.

Jesus_Valdez
February 20th, 2012, 06:13 PM
The installation of gnome fallback has always been an option, ever since the change to gnome 3 the panel has been there, don't know why people act surprise.

Anyway, I change to gnome shell and I'm not going back to panels, is not 1995 anymore.

asifnaz
February 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM
First I hated Unity but now I have fallen love with it . Classic Gnome is practically dead

Linuxratty
February 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM
yes, yes, yes, and yes.

yippieeeeeeee!!!!! :D

user1397
February 20th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I don't know why everyone is saying to press the super key along with alt and right click to add applets to the panel, I was able to do it with just alt + right click, no super key needed...

forrestcupp
February 20th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I never said it was gnome 2, but it's as close as you are going to get, and should satisfy those yearning for a gnome 2-like experience.

I know that. I was just clearing up any possible confusion and pointing out that we already have it in 11.10. No need to jump into an alpha or wait around for it.

Lucradia
February 20th, 2012, 10:57 PM
We already have this in 11.10, so......... what's new?

kaldor
February 20th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Looks like a skinned version on Gnome 3's fallback mode.

It is, but it'll also be able to use compositing via Compiz.

Frogs Hair
February 21st, 2012, 12:26 AM
That's Great for people who would like to use it . I hope it is not installed by default with the Gnome Shell . As it is now I have a DE I don't use .

neu5eeCh
February 21st, 2012, 02:08 AM
Well since 12.04 is going to be supported for 5 years, gnome fallback will be around that long too.

Yes, but will anybody be developing for it? That's the question. Gnome 2 is still available in other distros and will be for years to come, but it's already practically a zombie DE.

cariboo
February 21st, 2012, 04:17 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking, but gnome-classic runs on top of GTK-3, most programs written using GTK-2 still run on it. Who knows though, 5 years from now when 12.04 eol's we may not be using anything we use now.

PhilGil
February 21st, 2012, 05:29 AM
Yes, but will anybody be developing for it? That's the question. Gnome 2 is still available in other distros and will be for years to come, but it's already practically a zombie DE.
I don't think you're going to see an applet ecosystem develop around the Gnome-fallback panel like you did with the Gnome 2 panel. The Gnome developers have already stated that fallback mode is a short-term hack - they hope to discontinue it once Shell performs acceptably on machines without hardware acceleration.

While I applaud Canonical's move to include Gnome classic in 12.04 (and more importantly, their active development effort to port indicators to the panel), I think this is more a move to keep enterprises onboard than to satisfy the "I hate Unity" crowd.

click4851
February 21st, 2012, 06:08 AM
it doesn't matter whether anyone is happy now.....it only matters how Mark is feeling. How about that Mint/Cinnamon?

3rdalbum
February 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM
While I applaud Canonical's move to include Gnome classic in 12.04 (and more importantly, their active development effort to port indicators to the panel), I think this is more a move to keep enterprises onboard than to satisfy the "I hate Unity" crowd.

You're reading too much into it, I believe.

Ubuntu 11.10 already includes Gnome Fallback, and it's probably more to do with it being part of a stock Gnome Shell installation and "well we might as well include this 1 MiB part too".

I don't think there was any effort required to "port" indicators to it. Indicators ran on the old Gnome Panel just fine - they were implemented as Gnome Panel applets. If Gnome Panel applets work on Gnome Fallback, then the indicator applets will too.

forrestcupp
February 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM
It doesn't matter if they take Gnome Classic out. You'll always be able to install extensions in Gnome Shell to customize it and make it look just like Gnome Classic. It's as simple as going to the extension web site with Firefox and clicking on a button that looks like an on/off switch.

That's the great thing about Gnome Shell. There are tons of extensions out there to customize it, and the number of extensions is only going to get greater.

PhilGil
February 21st, 2012, 05:22 PM
@3rdalbum
I understand that fallback mode has been available in Gnome 3 and is not an Ubuntu project, but according to this story (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/more-classic-gnome-session-lands-in.html), indicator applet was ported to GTK3 and that Canonical has been devoting developer resources to "Ubuntuizing" gnome-classic.

@forrestcupp
Actually, classic is essential at this point as Gnome Shell (and all the cool extensions) won't run on graphics that are not hardware-accelerated.

forrestcupp
February 21st, 2012, 05:35 PM
@forrestcupp
Actually, classic is essential at this point as Gnome Shell (and all the cool extensions) won't run on graphics that are not hardware-accelerated.

Good point. It's hard to believe there are still computers that don't work with hardware acceleration.

neu5eeCh
February 21st, 2012, 05:56 PM
It doesn't matter if they take Gnome Classic out. You'll always be able to install extensions in Gnome Shell to customize it and make it look just like Gnome Classic.

Well... yes and no... I could use compiz and emerald in Gnome2 (I love glassy/aero themes) but I can't do that in Gnome Shell and (someone correct me) there's no extension on the planet that's going to allow me to run compiz or emerald in Gnome Shell. Instead, I'm stuck with a DE that is, in my subjective opinion, comparable to XP or Win2000 -- ugly and dated.

it doesn't matter whether anyone is happy now.....it only matters how Mark is feeling. How about that Mint/Cinnamon?

Ha! Reminds me of the scene in Victor Victoria when James Garner walks into a bad-*** pub and asks the bartender for warm milk. You trying to start a fight? My own Cinnamon thread was quickly booted into "Other OS's". I notice the latest notice on Cinnamon was allowed to remain at the Community Cafe.

haresear
February 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM
Good point. It's hard to believe there are still computers that don't work with hardware acceleration.
It's not just that the older hardware doesn't have graphics acceleration -- the older hardware drivers may not be accepted by Unity. I have a desktop with an nVidia FX5200 card that is blacklisted by Unity, but runs fine with hardware acceleration on U10.04.

PhilGil
February 21st, 2012, 08:49 PM
In general, 3D drivers seem to be hit-and-miss in Linux. I had a similar experience with a Nvidia FX5500 - closed-source drivers worked fine in 9.04 and 9.10 but caused weird glitches in 10.04. Replaced that card with a Radeon HD3650 and have never been able to get the fglrx drivers to work - black screen freeze at X start.

Both cards worked fine with the open source drivers, but no hardware acceleration available.

click4851
February 21st, 2012, 08:54 PM
that would be a shame then, because I'm not trying to start a fight. I just find it interesting that, as it has often been pointed out, variety is good....choice is good. Somethings change and grow, and some things change and wither away. I like some key things about the Ubuntu OS, I just don't happen to agree with direction Mark is taking the DE( and linux audio is a mess....but thats a topic for another time).

forrestcupp
February 21st, 2012, 11:11 PM
It's not just that the older hardware doesn't have graphics acceleration -- the older hardware drivers may not be accepted by Unity. I have a desktop with an nVidia FX5200 card that is blacklisted by Unity, but runs fine with hardware acceleration on U10.04.

Wow. I remember those. :)

Is it an AGP card? If not, it might be worth spending $30 to get a cheap, updated card that would work better and save yourself a lot of headaches.

haresear
February 22nd, 2012, 02:09 AM
Wow. I remember those. :)

Is it an AGP card? If not, it might be worth spending $30 to get a cheap, updated card that would work better and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Yes, it is an AGP card. Actually I've not had any problems with it -- it is just blacklisted under Unity 3D, so it falls back to Unity 2D with software rendering. That feels a bit sluggish even with Unity 2D, so I've switched to Xubuntu and Lubuntu (11.10), and it works fine with both.

3rdalbum
February 22nd, 2012, 02:38 AM
@3rdalbum
I understand that fallback mode has been available in Gnome 3 and is not an Ubuntu project, but according to this story (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/more-classic-gnome-session-lands-in.html), indicator applet was ported to GTK3 and that Canonical has been devoting developer resources to "Ubuntuizing" gnome-classic.

Ahh, I see now. Thanks.

@forrestcupp

Soon, apparently. There is a new software renderer that is nearly at usable speed with Gnome Shell. I think the Gnome guys are just waiting for that.

cwklinuxguy
February 22nd, 2012, 02:49 AM
Any way to tweak it back to what Gnome 2 used to be? Can we insert a system menu, and can we make the "add to panel" thing be just a simple right click again? In addition, what do you mean by 2D and 3D versions? Gnome 2 was NEVER 3D, and if this is 3D, it is not in fact a clone of Gnome 2...

PhilGil
February 22nd, 2012, 03:19 AM
Any way to tweak it back to what Gnome 2 used to be? Can we insert a system menu, and can we make the "add to panel" thing be just a simple right click again? In addition, what do you mean by 2D and 3D versions? Gnome 2 was NEVER 3D, and if this is 3D, it is not in fact a clone of Gnome 2...
Gnome 3 does not require 3D acceleration, but (at present) Gnome Shell does. If your machine doesn't have hardware acceleration your session opens in fallback mode ("Gnome Classic" in Ubuntuspeak).

There are an abundance of ways to get an experience like Gnome 2. Off the top of my head there's:

1) Gnome Classic (doesn't require 3D acceleration)
2) Gnome Shell with menu and bottom panel extensions (requires 3D)
3) Gnome Shell with Mint menu and panel extensions (requires 3D)
4) Cinnamon desktop (not sure if 3D is required)
5) Mate - a GTK3 port of Gnome2 (no 3D required)

And of course, XFCE ad LXDE, both of which have the classic menu and panel UI's.

PhilGil
February 22nd, 2012, 03:22 AM
Soon, apparently. There is a new software renderer that is nearly at usable speed with Gnome Shell. I think the Gnome guys are just waiting for that.
Cool, I've been wanting to try out Gnome Shell but I'm one of the unfortunates who can't enable accelerated graphics on my main desktop.

Primefalcon
February 22nd, 2012, 04:12 AM
I'll have to give this a try closer to release, for now I am using LXDE.... though only because on Unity there is an annoyance, when resolutions are changed for whatever reason my custom gamma is reset to 1.0 which with my aging monitor is not usable. Which is a shame since I do like unity.

Also some applications such as zsnes and dosbox tend to crash if initialized in fullscreen mode in Unity which is not an issue in LXDE or even XFCE

wolfen69
February 22nd, 2012, 04:49 AM
Can we insert a system menu
It's there, just under "Applications". I timed it. It took an extra .6 seconds to access it as compared to gnome 2. :o

can we make the "add to panel" thing be just a simple right click again?

I timed this also. It took an extra .5 seconds to right click with super+alt. As I was moving the mouse towards the bottom panel I got my fingers in place. ;)

In addition, what do you mean by 2D and 3D versions? Gnome 2 was NEVER 3D
It was capable of 3D if you had the proper video card.

Were the first two things mentioned really a big deal? How often are you adding things to the panel? Add up the number of things you add to the panel over the course of 6 months, and multiply that by the extra time it takes to do super+alt before right clicking. Let's say you need 1 extra second for each "add to panel" you do, and you do this 30 times (which is probably going overboard), that's 30 extra seconds over the course of 6 months to 5 years, depending on if you stay with LTS. Get where I'm going?

And having System in Applications, is literally one extra (slight) mouse movement. Btw, xfce is set up the same way. If people are constantly accessing System, then they are probably not getting any work done, or have nothing to do besides tweak their computers. In that case, the extra .5 seconds won't matter.

Sorry, I just had to expound upon your nitpicking. ;) I truly do hope you can find something that won't slow you down like gnome-fallback will. :-k

To be honest, I can't believe I just defended gnome-classic! I don't really care for it any more. Unity and keyboard shortcuts are all I need.

Primefalcon
February 22nd, 2012, 06:38 AM
I had compiz with gnome 2, I guess this made gnome2 a 3d desktop...

Lucradia
February 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM
I had compiz with gnome 2, I guess this made gnome2 a 3d desktop...

I installed compiz with xfce once, and it worked fine too. :P

I really don't like KDE, so I didn't use it there.

Duncan J Murray
February 25th, 2012, 09:01 PM
This is TERRIFIC news!

At last - I see a distribution that can replace 10.04 for me...

Do people know if the workspace switcher is functional in the same way as gnome 2 - in that I can drag files between workspaces with it?

D

DeathShot
February 26th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Right now I got my 11.10 to look pretty much just like that, Gnome 2 style. So I am assuming someone just decided to my life easy for me and do all the work a head of time. But I am very grateful for that. I never really complained about unity, more like I just tried to pretend it never existed and that Gnome3 never happened. It's not that I am a backwards looking person who is afraid of change... it's that I like things to be organized and working.

kevinmchapman
February 26th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I never really complained about unity, more like I just tried to pretend it never existed and that Gnome3 never happened. It's not that I am a backwards looking person who is afraid of change...

You may wish to compare and contrast those two sentences. Sounds like the very definition of change resistance to me...

DeathShot
February 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Well... It's not about change, it's about personal preference and that sentence was worded to be funny >.>

darrenn
February 26th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Im in no rush to upgrade to 12.04. Probably going to wait until the .1 release to upgrade from my 10.04.4. Anyway, was this to stop people from installing the 12.04 version of linux mint? Or were they planning to do this all along? Sorry I have a problem with jumping to conclusions.

Duncan J Murray
February 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I'm with Deathshot on this one. Although I have actually installed and in current use gnome3 and unity. Unity is targeted for a different market to me. Gnome-shell seems to be more suited to power-users, and both have their positive aspects.

But when you don't have 3D acceleration, and these desktops hinder the way you normally like to work, then the classical interface is exactly what you need.

D

autumnColors
February 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I prefer Gnome 2.x look and feel too. I hate the auto hideaway/popup icons and window controls. I find it a little odd that people will imply that all I'm doing is resisting change - and this from people (like me) that use and love a command line interface.

Duncan J Murray
February 26th, 2012, 09:30 PM
-autumncolours

Yes - the pop out bar is a big problem for me, as I seem to be incredibly prone to triggering it off. Usually because I'm trying to get to something on the far left of the screen. This is extra irritating because it means I have to wait for it to go before I can carry on.

I don't think I'm resistant to change - afterall it was only three years ago that I wiped an entire XP installation and dove headfirst into a complete linux world. In fact, I was optimistic about unity and gnome-shell - I still am, but it is guarded - they both need a lot of work, and I don't know how long it will be before it actually becomes better for me than Gnome2 is.

D

DeathShot
February 26th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Personally I hate the idea of Docks, and that is what Unity brings to the table. A dock... and a particularly annoying one. If you have to make a list of some programs at least make it so it doesn't get in the way. Gnome 2 and Windows do this by having a task bar of sort. Unity doesn't do this and every time my mouse gets to close to the edge is fudges up my work. When I first used it I kept on opening random applications which I had to later close. Also as much as I hate the dock, I hate to have my applications in extra large idiot proof touch friendly icons. I have a precession mouse and I want to use it to click on icons in a small list that has all my applications, organized but still small. Gnome 3 and Unity seem to assume that either you are blind, using a touch screen, or you can't point and click because the icons are fricken MASSIVE.

kevinmchapman
February 26th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I prefer Gnome 2.x look and feel too. I hate the auto hideaway/popup icons and window controls. I find it a little odd that people will imply that all I'm doing is resisting change - and this from people (like me) that use and love a command line interface.

Nothing wrong with disliking Gnome 3 and Unity or preferring Gnome 2. The problem is with crying out for the return of (dead) Gnome 2 or avoiding the new interfaces completely, which, whether you accept the accusation or not, is resistance to change.

DeathShot
February 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Nothing wrong with disliking Gnome 3 and Unity or preferring Gnome 2. The problem is with crying out for the return of (dead) Gnome 2 or avoiding the new interfaces completely, which, whether you accept the accusation or not, is resistance to change.

Technically most of us who are using Ubuntu 11.10 are using Gnome 3 even if we are in fall back mode.

kevinmchapman
February 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Also as much as I hate the dock, I hate to have my applications in extra large idiot proof touch friendly icons. I have a precession mouse and I want to use it to click on icons in a small list that has all my applications, organized but still small. Gnome 3 and Unity seem to assume that either you are blind, using a touch screen, or you can't point and click because the icons are fricken MASSIVE.

Classic case of trying to carry over old habits to the new interfaces. Use the search function, as designed, not the icons. They are not smartphone interfaces just because they have large icons in the background.

ZPField
February 26th, 2012, 11:27 PM

Ha ha. Hi, I'm Linuxratty and Gnome 3 was my idea!

craig10x
February 26th, 2012, 11:41 PM
DeathShot: you might be interested to know that in ubuntu 12.04 you can REDUCE the size of the Unity Bar icons by quite a bit if you like...

AND if you use auto-hide on the Unity Bar, it doesn't pop out easily like it does now...you have to sort of push a little against the edge (amount of pushing effort controllable by a sensitivity level indicator)....this way it won't pop out when you don't want it to....

see...better already! :)

Robynsveil
February 27th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Unity evokes the same feeling of change for change's sake as Microsoft's newest office flavour Office 10. No one *asked* for those changes, any more than anyone asked for Unity. Or if they did, they were a very vocal minority.
Why not fix things that *do* need addressing (that worked before)... like second-monitor support?

I've "dumped" Unity in favour of Cinnamon. Now, my second monitor works. Sort-of. But, the real-estate is finally there. This was the *only* reason I stayed in Win7 as long as I did.

wolfen69
February 27th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Unity evokes the same feeling of change for change's sake as Microsoft's newest office flavour Office 10. No one *asked* for those changes, any more than anyone asked for Unity. Or if they did, they were a very vocal minority.
Why not fix things that *do* need addressing (that worked before)... like second-monitor support?

I've "dumped" Unity in favour of Cinnamon. Now, my second monitor works. Sort-of. But, the real-estate is finally there. This was the *only* reason I stayed in Win7 as long as I did.

There are other threads to discuss whether or not you like unity. If this thread does not stay on topic, I will ask for it to be closed. Carry on.

DeathShot
February 27th, 2012, 02:38 AM
you might be interested to know that in ubuntu 12.04 you can REDUCE the size of the Unity Bar icons by quite a bit if you like...

AND if you use auto-hide on the Unity Bar, it doesn't pop out easily like it does now...you have to sort of push a little against the edge (amount of pushing effort controllable by a sensitivity level indicator)....this way it won't pop out when you don't want it to....

see...better already! :smile:

Sounds good.

But Unity aside, this is a good thing simply because the current fall back was broken. Truth be told even if I wanted to use Unity or Gnome it requires mad Hax to work on my VM simply because by default no matter how many resources I allocate to it Gnome 3 and Unity really don't want me to use them... don't get me wrong I got them working like I got Compiz working on fallback mode... but they really do make you work for it. Either way in Gnome 3 fallback mode you get a none uniform bar, and its just bare and disorganized. It just so happens that if you add the things you need and make it look uniform it looks like gnome 2, but it is evident that fallback mode was not a real concern when they released Gnome3 and it's nice they didn't forget about those of us who either have older systems or use VMs or or like lists.

Raistlin355
February 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Minor thing, but I'd really like to see the Ubuntu icon next to the Applications menu again.

Do this:
Open a new Terminal
Run: sudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-3.0/apps/gnome-panel.css
Add ‘-PanelMenuBar-icon-visible: true;’ (sans quote marks) to the bottom of the ‘PanelMenuBar.menubar.menuitem’ item
Save
Logout and back in to see change take effect

nutpants
February 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM
great to hear classic is back,i have have 8 nephews and nieces all using old p4 3g thinkcenter 8171 desktops as their personal computers and there is no way unity or any graphic accelerated required desktop will work on them.

the videos drivers for Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 on the systems just barley work as is..
and i really wanted 12.04 on their computers as the last update they will ever need. (before the computers go in the garbage)

i need classic to stay with ubuntu..
or they do,,,i should say

grizzler
February 29th, 2012, 09:53 PM
...but it is evident that fallback mode was not a real concern when they released Gnome3...
Vincent Untz, the GNOME developer who ported the gnome-panel to GNOME3, seems to think differently: http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead,-long-live-gnome-panel!
Comments 44, 50 and 58 are interesting. It seems the fallback mode will exist as long as GNOME3 does, at least according to that particular GNOME developer.

DeathShot
February 29th, 2012, 10:31 PM
It was important that it will exist, but my point was no real effort was put in into making it very usable.

kansasnoob
February 29th, 2012, 10:39 PM
For all of those that loved gnome 2, classic gnome will be available in 12.04 by

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
It is not just a watered down version of gnome 2, but is pretty much an exact clone of gnome 2, (using it right now) and will be available in regular, and 2D mode. I have attached a screenshot.

Before, there was Applications, Places, and System menus. Now there are only 2, Applications and Places, with System integrated into the Applications menu. And to add applets (Add to Panel) to the bottom panel, you need to do: Super key-Alt-right click. You can also drag menu items onto the panel for shortcuts.

So next time someone complains about unity, tell them to wait for 12.04 to get classic gnome back. Plus, people will not need to run old versions of ubuntu to have a gnome 2 like experience. Happy now? :rolleyes:

It never went away:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886799

Yes, it changed but it never went away ............. and it'll be easier to do in Precise which is a 5 year LTS :D

kansasnoob
February 29th, 2012, 10:44 PM
There are other threads to discuss whether or not you like unity. If this thread does not stay on topic, I will ask for it to be closed. Carry on.

Why close an entire thread :confused:

If someone is posting in a less than appropriate manner report that post ........... then that post can be jailed and the poster can be warned :)

alhaines
March 1st, 2012, 03:58 AM

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallbackIt is not just a watered down version of gnome 2, but is pretty much an exact clone of gnome 2, (using it right now) and will be available in regular, and 2D mode. I have attached a screenshot.

Thanks for thinking of us old-timers!
Maybe I'm just getting old but Ubuntu keeps removing all the things I loved about it when I first switched from Suse to Ubunut 80.04. I have tried several distros a year and am looking for something that does not look like it runs on a phone!
Android is great on a phone, Docky looks nice on my home theater but as a programmer trying to get work done the dock is the pits.....

They removed Amorak 1.4 and Grub1's ability to log to another terminal in my home. They did away with AMeal which is my favorite in the kitchen! From the looks of things I may just have to remove Ubuntu!
my first linux was Slax1.0 so maybe I do long for the old days, and that took over a day to download.](*,)

Rev. Dr. Alfred J. Haines retired